OO doesn't remember window positions? [A: remembers open windows, not closed windows]

Hi all.

Is there a way to tell OO to open a document in the same window location it was at when the previous session ended?

Thanks.

If you Quit OmniOutliner with your document(s) in the position(s) you want, the next time you launch the app any document that was previously open should be restored in the same positions*. If, however, you close a window for a document rather than quitting the app as a whole, the document’s positioning is not remembered.

If this is something you’d like to see handled differently, please send us email with your thoughts!

Well… I’m sorry, Valyria, but it doesn’t work this way for me.

I have two documents in mind, that I’ve been testing with. I open them. I modify them, I save them. I quit OO. In the Finder, I double-click on one document. It opens NOT in the location it was in when I quit OO. Actually, they both always open in the same location, at 280 pixels from the left edge of the screen…

So everytime, after I open them, I have to drag them elsewhere…

I’ll send an email at the address you indicated in your response.

Thanks.

I think there’s an edge case buried in here that may be affecting the behavior you’re seeing, @M_ichel - I’ve managed to generate the behavior that both you and @valyria are describing after opening a document, editing it, saving it, and re-opening it.

I think certain edits are causing the window position information to be preserved and other ones aren’t, but I haven’t been able to narrow it down more than that. I’ll make sure this gets communicated to the rest of the team - and I’m sorry for the trouble! For the time being, the best workaround to use may be establishing the habit of leaving windows open and quitting/relaunching (or hiding/showing) OO rather than closing the app. Again, I’m really sorry about this!

1 Like

Same for me. I wouldn’t call it an edge case as OmniOutliner never remembers my window positions, as far as I can tell. If the document is saved, it will remember some things, such as window size and sidebar visibility, but not the window position. It doesn’t matter if I close the window or quit the app–it always favors the same position when reopening. I just tried editing a template directly but that didn’t seem to make a difference. I like to arrange my windows and would love to have this fixed. I know you can show/hide instead of quitting but it’s not the same, as login sessions don’t last forever.

OmniOutliner certainly remembers window positions and sizes across sessions for me (both when quitting the app and when logging out)—as long as I turn off the “Close windows when quitting an app” setting in System Preferences > General.

OmniOutliner used to store window sizes and positions in its documents, but at some point OS X added support for automatically remembering and restoring the position of open windows, so we got out of its way and started letting OS X decide where windows should go. This was helpful in that we ended up with fewer sync conflicts due to moving windows around the on the screen, but the downside is that OS X only remembers those settings for open documents, not closed documents, and if you have “Close windows when quitting an app” turned on then you end up losing those window positions every time you close the app.

That’s pretty much the sole reason I turned off that System Preference setting: I got tired of losing the positions of all my windows in all my apps all the time.

Hi there.

Sorry, but Matt78’s got it right.

Omni assumes that whenever we want to close an application document window, we want to close the app!!!

What kxase is saying is true: if the System parm is set to “Close windows when quitting an app”, and if you close an app, THEN OS X will note the position of the windows THAT IT IS CLOSING!

I’m sorry, but in my case it certainly is not what I want. Say I have 3 outline documents open at the same time. If I want to close one of them (AND I WANT ITS LOCATION AND SIZE AND YES, EVEN ITS SCROLL, TO BE THE SAME WHEN I REOPEN IT IN THE FUTURE), what you’re saying is that I should quit OO and re-open the other two documents!!!

Come on! Let’s get serious here! I’m trying to stay nice here and not start a rant, but you’re making it very difficult!

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of another application that I use that does not remember window location. Mail remembers, iTunes remembers, Parallels remembers, TradeStation remembers, TWS remembers, NoteBook remembers, EyeTV remembers, etc, etc.

This is most frustating! (Because it is such basic stuff! And to learn now that you had it right in the first place and then undid the functionality!!! Pheeew! Too much!)

Have a nice day anyway!

Hi all.

Actually, it gets even better. Listen to this.

I did turn OFF the system parm.

I figured that what I would do is this: I’m going to open OO outline “A”, put its window where I want it to be and I’m going to quit OO (with the window open) and this should “set” it’s position (in OS X’s memory). Then I’m going to do this with every outline, individually, and that should set their locations, right? Right.

So I do this for outline “A”. I quit OO. I double-click on outline “A”’ icon in the Finder (that is how I normally open documents) and sure enough, OS X has remembered outline “A”'s location! Great!

So I quit OO again. Now I’m going to do the same thing for outline “B”. I double-click on outline “B”'s icon in the Finder. Ooops.

It has opened outline “B”, sure enough. BUT IT HAS ALSO OPENED OUTLINE “A”!!! (Of course, dummy! OS X has not only remembered it’s location, it has also remembered that outline “A” was open when I quit OO!!!)

So, there’s no way to win.

I’m going to reset the system parm. And every time I open an OO document, I’m going to drag its window from the bottom left of the screen to where I want it. Every time, every OO document. (Thank God OS X is putting the left edge of the window at some positive value that is not outside the range of my screen. Or a negative value!)

Thanks all. Have a nice Sunday!

Sorry, no, that’s not how Apple has designed this feature in OS X. I just tested in Apple’s Pages app, and it behaved the same way as OmniOutliner does: the positions of currently-open documents are remembered, but not the positions of closed documents. So as soon as you close any document, you’ve lost any memory of its previous position.

That said, I certainly preferred how OmniOutliner behaved before we adopted the standard behavior from OS X. Maybe it’s worth reintroducing the older behavior as an option; I’d certainly make use of it.

I upgraded to OO4 immediately when it came out (as I have all OOs since early MORE) but after a few days of fighting the errant window positioning I returned to OO3. As OO3 no longer works with Sierra I am forced use OO4 and endure the resulting window chase.

All of my OO4 doc windows open in the same lateral location (I suspect that the 280 pixels from the left edge is correct) and in varying vertical locations.

No amount of repositioning, saving, closing the window before quitting or not, nor checking the “close windows when quitting the app” on or off keeps the window from appearing at the same location upon opening using any of the four opening methods I can think of. It is as though the window is assuming a default location.

Having the window at a specific location is important to me and moving it there many times a day is frustrating. Oh for the days before OO4 when this was not the case.

I can’t speak to your example of the opening location of Pages, but I use Apple Numbers every day and it opens to the last saved location every time.

Please add me to the list of people who would prefer to have the “remember last location” option.

OK Its September 2017 and we are now at version 5. Is this still a thing?

I cant get Omni Outlliner to remember my window positions for reach outline. And the MacOS “Ill reopen all your windows where you left them if you uncheck the system preference” is not sufficient.

I’d like outlines to remember their position and size. Still does not work for me.

Thanxs,
|><