Pasting files as links

Hi there,

I’ve now been using OmniOutliner 5 Pro for a few weeks, and it works lovely, however, there is one problem I have encountered quite a lot already.

In my workflow I like to attach files to OmniOutliner files as links, since I want to be able to edit these files through regular finder as well, and not just through OmniOutliner. However, currently the only way to add a file as link seems to be through the edit menu in the top bar and choosing the ‘create link to the file’ option in the file chooser.

I was wondering if there was a more intuitive/easy way to do this by dragging and dropping, since this by default creates a copy of the file. Maybe dragging and dropping while holding a certain modifier key (cmd/option/ctrl), or changing a preference setting that sets creating a link as the default.

I haven’t been able to find any options of the sort, but maybe you guys know something I don’t! Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Luuk

I think if you hold down the control key while dragging the file from Finder to OO, OO will create a link to the file instead of embedding the file in the OO document. How one is supposed to figure this out I do not know.

1 Like

Yep! This is correct. If you grab the file in Finder, then hold down the Control key as you drag the file into the body of the outline, the file will be linked when it’s dropped into the row or note. There should be a small, black, curved arrow next to the mouse cursor and the file icon as it’s dragged into the document (versus a green circle with a ‘+’ sign, which tells you that the file is going to be embedded).

Ah yes, I had tried that, and noticed the arrow appearing, but it didn’t appear to work.

Now I notice that it seems to work that way only if you have created a row already, and the cursor is located as if you’re going to type into the row. I believe that if you drag the file under an existing row to add it as a child, it doesn’t create a link, even if you hold down ctrl.

Not really an issue, now that I know how it works, but that’s why I couldn’t exactly figure it out easily.

Thanks guys!