Planning with undetermined start date and month granularity?

This has been asked back in 2011, but (AFAIK) never received a useful reply. So: Is it possible with more recent versions of OmniPlan to plan projects that do not have a fixed start date yet, and that have a planning granularity of full months only (so no rounding/skew due to moving tasks between months with 30 or 31 days)?

This would be extremely helpful for planning things like research proposals, which commonly have these requirements.

1 Like

@Gnorr Monthly granularity has not been implemented in OmniPlan at this point. Sorry to disappoint! I’ll attach your comments to our open feature request for this functionality though - it’s helpful for us to know why you’d find this feature useful!.

1 Like

This full month granularity should be nice to have for project planning when you need to estimate a large planning for long term project.

@odhez Thanks for letting us know how this could be useful in your workflow! I’ll attach your comment to our open feature request.

Hi,
as the last post here is almost 1.5 years old I would like to reactivate this question/request (in the small hope a solution came up during the past 18 month). I have the same request, for planning long term projects (4-6y) in general the first drafts of the project plan for my cases need a granularity of months or even quarters. I would love to use OP for that, but it kills me that when I enter two work packages that should each take 6 months that I end up in mid December (starting Jan. 1st). I tried to to tweak the working schedule but it never really can be worked out due to the irregular number of monthly days and it seems there is no ways to get around this. Any update if such a “rough planning” option could be realized at some day?

Thanks
Jan

@janharder We haven’t yet introduced new granularity options in OmniPlan, but in OmniPlan 3.7 for Mac we did introduce elapsed time value support, which you might find useful. For example, this feature allows you to enter a duration of “6emonths” for a task in OmniPlan, which tells the app to calculate the task’s duration based on calendar days, not work days.

More information about this update is available in the release notes.

If you have further questions about how OmniPlan calculate work days and task length, our Support team would be happy to help out! They can be reached by email at omniplan@omnigroup.com or by phone Mon - Fri, 10am - 5pm Pacific at 1 (800) 315-6664 or 1 (206) 523-4152.