Possible to preview OO docs in Finder? [Current test builds have a fix for High Sierra macs]

If I click on an OO doc in the Finder, in multi-column view, the preview window just shows a giant OO icon with no information about the contents of a particular file. (In contrast, clicking on an RTF file shows a preview of that file’s contents in the third pane.)

Is there a way to configure the Finder to allow such previewing for OO docs? It seems like this could be a huge ergonomic/workflow boon.

Mike

2 Likes

When you hit the spacebar (or use the QuickLook command in the toolbar) when an OO doc is highlighted, does the resulting QuickLook window show a collapsible version of the outline?

1 Like

Yes indeed. So what I’d love is for that view to appear in the rightmost pane of the Finder’s column view, any time a file is selected.

3 Likes

Might be worth tossing a feature request via the in-app Help menu. I seem to recall reading a while ago why the icon preview didn’t load because it wasn’t a native Mac filetype, or because it was a database or something. It would be nice to have it, although I have gotten used to just hitting the Spacebar.

1 Like

Ditto, it would be very useful if preview would work

1 Like

Maybe this is connected, but it would be very helpful if OmniOutliner files were indexed with spotlight and when entering a search term in spotlight it would find outliner documents that contain it.

1 Like

I also would love to see a minified version of the document in Finder as - for example - Pages does:

@DerekM are you guys considering adding this feature to the OO3 file format?

2 Likes

Please add preview. For Finder and pathfinder.

1 Like

I am confused. Why does quick look work on my iMac to view the outliner document but not on my macBook pro?

OK, Found the answer and will share it.

I followed the steps outlined here and it worked.

http://superuser.com/questions/1022723/how-to-enable-quick-look-preview-in-omnioutliner-3-10-6-on-osx11-2

[Updating this thread because a customer came across it while troubleshooting a different issue.]

Quick Look doesn’t appear to be working for OmniOutliner documents on Macs that have upgraded to High Sierra. We’re researching the problem but haven’t managed to find a solution yet. Discussion further up this thread may still be useful to customers running macOS 10.12 or earlier, but doesn’t apply to anyone running macOS 10.13/High Sierra. Apologies!

4 Likes

I ran into this today after buying OO… I was a bit confused by it…

We’ve done some more research, and it appears this is happening because High Sierra requires applications that render HTML to ask for additional Sandox entitlements compared to Sierra and earlier.

(OmniOutliner’s quicklook previews are locally-stored HTML; earlier OSes had less stringent requirements for that use case.)

Thanks for the update. Is this something you intend to address?

OmniOutliner 5.3 public test builds are now available with a fix for Quick Look on High Sierra. Please let us know how it works for you– https://omnistaging.omnigroup.com/omnioutliner/

3 Likes

So cool! I will buy OO and ditch away MS Word. My intention is to use OO to sum up PDFs and Books I read for later reference or to recapture what I read. I want to easily find out in the Quick Look whats inside the OO file. Could anybody make a screenshot of how Quicklooks of (detailed) OO Files look like in the Finder in High Sierra? Thank you!

I’m happy to report it works as one would hope on 5.3.1 using macOS 10.13.6!

1 Like

WOW THANK YOU AWESOME! So that means you can also expand and collapse the Outline directly within Quick View? What a dream. Gonna buy OO soon!

Yes, you can expand and collapse within Quickview.

1 Like

What a dream! Thank you!