Reference System to complement OF

Different people seem to have very different systems for this. Putting it simply people seem to be either “Filers” or “Finders”
As I’ve never been able to identify with any very strict way of doing it (i.e. I lean toward being a “Finder”, so I keep it simple, and it’s always worked for me (both work and home stuff).

I use Evernote. There I said it. It’s my “everything dump”
The way I work, if I know it’s there, I can get back to it. You could take it further and insert a link to a OF project or task in particular notes or notebooks. Or tag individual notes.

But as long as I can find it quickly, I’m good. So Evernote works perfectly.

I think th most important thing is to understand how you prefer to approach it.

2 Likes

Agree, I prefer to purchase, the exception for me is creative suite photography which gives me photoshop and lightroom (all I need) Dropbox, Deploybot for code deployment and Xero for accounting. These make my life easier and have a real value, things like Evernote simply don’t (for me anyway) and its easy for subscription costs to mount up quickly.

I now have a basic rule I try to stick to high value to the business > happy to pay ongoing for. Otherwise outright purchase, and to have a ceiling on monthly subscription services.

As for textexpander I substituted it for atext the day after their subscription rip off was announced and it does 100% of what i need text expansion for for $3 one off or something like that.

For what it’s worth, now that Ulysses supports x-callback URLs on MacOS, I’ve gone all in. In practice, Bear’s purely keyword based system wasn’t working for me. I wrote a quick BibDesk AppleScript to create a new Ulysses sheet with a BibDesk citation, and a URL handler (also in AppleScript) to capture the x-callback from Ulysses and add a link to the newly-created sheet in BibDesk. And the links work in both directions between Ulysses and BibDesk on MacOS and from Ulysses to PocketBib on iOS (but not in reverse unfortunately, for reasons known only to the PocketBib developer)

My reference system and general external brain is a file of text files in (mostly) a single folder. I generally used Sublime Text to edit these. Is there a workflow of attaching such files to an OmniFocus note for quick opening?

The only thing I’ve found is Edit > Attach File... which is pretty cumbersome.

Hi everybody, I’m having really good results for this with Bear http://www.bear-writer.com/
It is a quite new app, it features markdown, tags, link to notes, attachments and it is nicely crafted.