Removing Duplicate Tasks from Forecast View?

Yup, @DrJJWMac’s method is fairly similar to mine, although I tend to use flags slightly longer-term, which means that at any given time I might have a dozen things on my “Hotlist” over the course of a day or two, and for non-repeating tasks, defer dates (and, more specifically, times) can be more fluid.

During my Weekly Review, which I do on Monday mornings, I’ll go through every project that’s due to be reviewed (based on the review dates/cycles set for each project), and in that process, will flag tasks that I expect to get done that week, usually assigning/modifying defer dates in the process.

So, for example, I might see a task that I expect to get to that same day. That will simply get flagged. Another task I might look at and want to get done this week, but know I can’t get to until Wednesday. That may be a decision based on external factors (can’t do it yet), recognizing that I’m not going to have the time, or simply a matter of trying to balance out my week by shifting lower priority things utnil later). In any of those cases, I’d adjust the defer date for Wednesday and flag it. That way it comes up on Wednesday morning on my Hotlist, ready to go.

During my daily review, I look first at my Hotlist for the day. This is a custom perspective that includes all available Due or Flagged items, with Due items sorted at the top. I’ll ask myself what I realistically expect to accomplish that day, and sometimes defer things until the next day if I know there’s no way I’m going to get to it. Occasionally I’ll even unflag something that’s simply become no longer important for the week. In that case, it goes back into the ‘pool’ for the next Weekly Review the following Monday.

Note that with “Due” sorting in a perspective, you end up with every due item at the top, regardless of how far in the future the due dates are. As a result, I rarely have due and flagged items that are more than a couple of days into the future – they’re either unflagged (which is fine, as they’ll come up automatically when they’re within 24 hours of being due), or flagged with a defer date if I need them on my list more than 24 hours in advance. That’s also rare, however, since the whole point of GTD is breaking tasks down into manageable, bite-sized chunks, so tasks should be simple enough that I don’t need to know about them more than 24 hours in advance. In other words, while an entire project may be due on Friday afternoon, there should be steps that take me toward the completion of that project that show up sooner than that anyway.

I also have two sub-versions of my Hotlist that I work from. One focuses on all of my “Work” projects, while the other focuses on my “Personal” projects. During the evenings and weekends I’m likely to work exclusively from the “Personal” one, while on a busy workday, I flip over to the “Work” one and ignore the “Personal” one. As a self-employed person who works primarily from home, however, even that is somewhat fluid, which is why I keep the combined “Hotlist” that includes both; when less work stuff is going on I will tend to mix and match both personal and work tasks.

I don’t normally mind having up to about a dozen things hanging around on my Hotlist – that’s enough to scan and pick and choose at a glance; any more than that can start to feel overwhelming, so If either of my Hotlists are getting busy on a given day, I will use defer times to drop things later into the day, to sort of schedule my day. I generally just do this in established time chunks, however: 1:00 PM for afternoon tasks, 5:00 PM for “after work” tasks. I never UNflag unless I’m really dropping a task off my list entirely for the week, which is very rare.

I also have two other key perspectives that I work in for specific modes: Household and Errands. These include all available items in either of those categories, with the names being somewhat self-descriptive. Most Household chores are repeating, and the important ones still get flagged so they come up in my Hotlist, but a lot of other more routine “when I get around to it” stuff simply gets dropped into the appropriate project and context without a flag. When I’m ready to roll up my sleeves and tackle some housework, I just pull up that perspective and anything available is there, waiting to go. A lot of these are also recurring tasks, with defer dates to keep them off my radar until they’re ready to be done again (e.g. wash bedding, vacuum rugs, mow lawn, etc – none of them are critical enough to warrant a flag, but they make a useful checklist of things that need to be done whenever I’m in that kind of a mode).

5 Likes

Thanks JJ and JD for sharing,

JD, Did you mean that your deferred item will automatically appear in your hotlist even without being flagged? Or do you have to flag them first? I couldn’t figure out how to make my defer items automatically appear in my custom “execute” perspective. Would really help if you can mention how you adjusted the criteria in it if you don’t mind!

No, I flag them first… During my weekly review, I pick out what I plan to accomplish that week and flag those particular items. If I"m not going to deal with them right away, I flag them for later.

IMHO, the key point to make OmniFocus work properly is not about having your tasks setup so that they always magically appear at the exact right times ad infinitum – that’s really an impossible dream when it comes right down to it – but rather the Weekly Review that basically has you going through all of your remaining, reviewable tasks on a regular basis and making shorter-term decisions on what you’re going to accomplish. That’s what turns OmniFocus into a trusted system – not that you’re letting things hide from you until they pop up, but that you’re always reviewing your tasks regularly enough that there are no big surprises.

If a deferred task doesn’t have a flag, then it’s not important enough to be done when it comes up – it’s either low priority stuff that I’ll see through another perspective (e.g. routine household chores or errands), or something that will come up during a Weekly Review anyway. To be fair, however, I have more of the former than the latter… Since I only set Defer Dates on things that I’ve already decided I want to come up, almost everything that gets a Defer Date also gets flagged, with the exception of the ‘routine’ category of items that appear in very purpose-specific perspectives that I use separately (e.g. household chores).

1 Like

FWIW, I handle the equivalent of your Household this way. I have a set of @Admin > XYZ single-action Projects at the top level in all of my Folders for Areas of Responsibility. An example is …

Well-Being (folder)

• Finances (sub-folder)
    @Admin > Finances (single-action list)
    — confirm automatic payment to gas company (repeat monthly, always flagged)
    — Water Bill (sequential action group, repeat monthly)
    ---- get water bill (context - Waiting On : servicer)
    ---- pay water bill (flagged or due)
    ---- confirm receipt of payment for water bill (flagged)

I have an @Admin perspective that shows all Projects labeled @Admin (since it is a search, it does not translate from desktop to iOSx OF1 versions … perhaps OF2 fixes this problem).

I handle errands as a context.

JJW

1 Like

Interesting. I actually use Errands as a context primarily because it’s just easier to access from the iOS Home Screen rather than digging into the Contexts view, although it does allow me to include sub-contexts and tweak it a bit further than just using the raw context (which is what I used to do).

I do a similar single-action-project scenario, and simply use a saved “Focus” on the appropriate folders and/or single-action lists. The search aspect opens up other possibilities now that I’m thinking about it, however, although for me it’s a problem that it doesn’t translate to iOS – I use my iPhone a lot for this stuff, so that kind of continuity is important. The good news is that it looks like the new universal OF 2.1 will address this once it comes out, so I think I’m going to revisit that approach at some point soon.