Request - Allow Review Dates on Folders

My request is fairly simple in nature, although I’m not sure it will be as simple to implement technically:

I do realize that folders are mainly meant for organization, but I would find it incredibly helpful to be able to assign a Review date to folders. Doing so would allow one to set a default review date for all projects contained in folders, allowing you to more easily ensure that like projects that have been grouped in a folder will be presented for review on the same day.

The expected behavior in this case would be to apply the review date to any project added to the folder unless the review date on the project or task has been manually set by the user. If a review date has not been manually set on a folder, the folder would function as it does now (There would not be a “Default” review date added to folders upon creation).

That’s an interesting idea, @hsavirndb.

If you haven’t already, I encourage you to email this request to Omni by choosing Contact Omni from the Help menu (Mac) or Settings (iPhone/iPad).

In the osascript (JavaScript for Automation and AppleScript) interface, folders do, I think, have a note field, in which you could store a yyyy-mm-dd date text

Not directly visible in the GUI, but you could write a script to view, edit, and filter by ISO8601 date texts stored in there.

(My impression, however, is that the note property of Folders may not be accessible – at least for the moment – in the omniJS scripting interface)

In AppleScript, for example, you would need to display a dialog for inspection and editing, but the route to the note is roughly this:

AppleScript
use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use scripting additions

tell application "OmniFocus"
    tell default document
        tell front document window
            set xs to selected trees of sidebar
            if xs ≠ {} then
                set oItem to value of item 1 of xs
                -- set note of oItem to "2020-11-01"
                note of oItem
            end if
        end tell
    end tell
end tell
1 Like

@timstringer Thanks for the suggestion, I have submitted the request to Omni!

@draft8 That’s interesting! Currently using AppleScript to align project dates when added to Folders, but would be nice if it was built in. Thanks for the suggestion and insight!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.