Should I wait for OF3 to process 950 Inbox items? (Update: I don't want to hit 1k)

Update (after 1.5 Years): This system works very well.

What I do now. I dont inbox my inbox at all, I just archive the tasks as metioned before.
When I have an Idea which fits an active project I directly open that project and write the idea down there in order ot minimize my inboxing.
Later when I work on a project I search for inboxing Items which fit to the project and get an automatic inspiration list.
I see my inboxing more like ideas I had in the past. If I really need to finish a project or have to work seriously on it I just open the proejct and create another “projectinbox” there. Works great for me, reduces stress.

Important: I combine this Inboxarchiving technique with the Block scheduling technique from cal newport. All big projects have a block schedule in my calendar and are referring to omnifocus which contains a lot of tasks. easy peasy since a lot of years.

1 Like

Update after 5+ years:

I am so happy for not deleting any of those tasks. I probably have more than 1.5k in my inbox now. I use them from time to time, to brainstorm and occasionally file them in into the right folder. OF is a “someday/maybe” brainstorming tool for me anyways. I makde the right decision back than, just leaving the tasks like they have been. I am so happy that I didnt delete anything. And I will not delete. them for another 5 years. I will rather move away from OF, since I dont really need this app anymore. I could be using any other outlining tool for this purpose. Thanks OF for giving me a lesson. “trust your ideas more than an a single app.”

Where did you put them?

Just in a Folder. For example Inbox to Process and then make it on hold.

Or did you use a project? For example Inbox to Process and then make it on hold.

When you moved the tasks out of Inbox to Process did you have to edit the on hold?

Did you also go thru the projects to move items out to the Inbox to Process?

Right now I can’t see the trees for the forest.

They all reside in a folder;projects “Inbox/Process”.
Did not do any editing whatsoever. I just know that there is a folder /project wihh more than 1K thoughts/tasks etc.

When Iw rok on a specific project I just search my whole database for keywords. When something from that"inbox" pops up I take it out and use the 5 year old task in my new/fresh project. Data is free; I would definetly not delete it. Just achive it, let it be. Start fresh and treat the old tasks as an “archive” to get back to from time to time