Sort outline after applying a filter

Is it possible to sort rows after applying a filter? It appears to me that it is NOT possible, but wanted to check. (Some other posts have hinted at this, but it does not look like it’s specifically been answered.) If not, is there a workaround?

1 Like

Looks like no, you can’t sort a filter.

However, there’s a workaround. If you’re using a filter, I presume it’s because you want to use the filter to select what you want to sort. So apply your filter, and then select the rows you want to sort. Do this by selecting the first row, then hold down the shift key and select the last row. When you exit the filter, those rows will remain selected, even though they’re potentially no longer adjacent. Now you can apply the sort to those selected rows. This will perform the sort IN PLACE. In other words, those rows will not be grouped together, but will be sorted with respect to each other, in their current positions.

If you really need them grouped together temporarily, such as for reporting, then apply the filter, select the rows, then copy and paste them into a new outline. If you need to maintain complex column rules / formatting, copy your outline and delete all rows from the copy to make a boilerplate format, into which you can temporarily paste selected rows when you want.

1 Like

Thank you for this, @regexp. I clipped this to my “Howtos” folder. Will try it out.