Sorting Within Contexts and My Improbably Long List of Errands

What a great hack! Thanks

I have found that if I just type ā€œnowā€ into the due date in the order I want to do things, it is pretty painless.

Itā€™s definitely a hack. But, it saves me from actually assigning times which is time consuming. I have all my items tagged under different projects like ā€œImportant Projectsā€ and ā€œMedium Projectsā€. Then I pick the most important project under ā€œImportant Projectsā€ and type ā€œnowā€ into the due date. Then do the same with the second most important and so on. This morning I have 8 ā€œImportant Projectsā€ and within 15 seconds I have them all sorted from most important to least.

Iā€™d love a way to manually sort, but until then, this works pretty well.

1 Like

The problem described in the opening posting is very easy to solve. Create several new tags e.g. supermarket, drugstore, pharmacy ā€¦ and assign them to (at)errands as sub-tags. Now you can re-sort manually without any problems. If you want to go to the pharmacy first instead of going to the supermarket, move the pharmacy tag in front of the supermarket tag. So all errands are sorted.

I organize my tags every day and move some of them to a new position. Iā€™m using a tag system with sub tags to schedule tasks according to the following scheme:

(at)Today
(at)ThisWeek
ā€¦(at)Thursday
ā€¦(at)Friday
ā€¦(at)Saturday
ā€¦(at)Sunday
ā€¦(at)ThisWeekend
(at)Nextweek
ā€¦(at)Monday
ā€¦(at)Tuesday
ā€¦(at)Wednesday
ā€¦(at)NextWeekend
(at)ThisMonth
(at)ThisYear
ā€¦(at)August
ā€¦(at)September
ā€¦
(at)NextYear
ā€¦(at)January
ā€¦
ā€¦

and so on.

Every evening Iā€™m looking which tasks are assigned to the next day of the week and then assign them to (at)Today. Then the weekday-tag is moved to (at)Nextweek. Month-tags are floating from ThisYear to NextYear if they are in the past and so on.
So my tasks are always arranged in chronological order.
(Sorry, but I couldnā€™t use the ā€œat-signsā€ for my tags, cause they are adressing users here in this Editor)

1 Like

You can escape @ like this \@abc.

1 Like