"Switch" between Project & Context View, like in v1?

Overall I’m loving the new version in nearly every respect, but I must agree with this thread that the loss of the “switch” view is the biggest (maybe only) disappointment. It was one that I used frequently, as in every few minutes. If, for example, you were viewing a project-based perspective that showed only Available projects and tasks (like a “Today” perspective a la David Sparks), and wanted to drill down into any given project to see the Remaining tasks within hat project, clicking the “Switch” icon would toggle you there, and then clicking it again would toggle you back.

Now it’s necessary to right-click, scroll down a list, hit “Show in Projects”, and then when you’re done with that View, find your way back to the Perspective. Too many clicks. Alternatively you can pop open the Quick Open dialogue box, type in the Project you want to drill down to, and then launch it, either within the same window or separately. Then you still have to navigate back to the Perspective, or close out the separately opened window. And if you have a project name that appears in more than one folder – i.e., you have a “Administrative” project for multiple clients – then using the Quick Open dialogue also requires you to locate and select the Administrative project from a pull-down list of multiple Administrative projects.

T’would be fabulous to restore the Switch view so that it’s a single key-stroke, or better yet, an icon as it used to be.

Otherwise, a really great upgrade. Really pleased on all fronts.

1 Like

“Show in” (the replacement for “Switch”) already has a keyboard shortcut: Command-Option-R.

Thanks Kyle. Helpful to know. Would be great to have an icon available on the toolbar to execute that – but more importantly, it would be great if returning from that view would return me to where I was before the View in Projects command. I mostly work from a handful of custom perspectives, and as others have noted, at the moment switching back out of the View in Projects mode takes you into a Contexts view, rather than to the previous place.

2 Likes

I think this is a great idea, and that you should email it to omnifocus@omnigroup.com. :)

We’d be even happier if the functionality was restored as requested : )

I would also like the original behavior or a Back button. The absence of this feature detracts greatly from the usability of OF2.

1 Like

A back button would be nice!

I was pretty disappointed that this Switch button was removed in OmniFocus2. It seems like trivial functionality for OmniGroup to implement. And yes, I know Opt-Command-Rn exists, but I wanted a button in the toolbar.

Anyways, I forked some existing OF2 scripts on GitHub and created the following AppleScripts:

For further Info look here:

Go to the previous view

And here: "Switch" between Project & Context View, like in v1?