Text in Object Auto Resizing

I make a group of objects and then need to resize the group to a smaller size. The text does not resize and overflows the boundaries of the object. I can go in an resize the text of each object, but really, is there no better way?

You can convert a shape/group to a text-scalable form by

• selecting it
  • Edit > Copy As > PDF
  • paste a PDF version of that shape/group back onto the canvas.

Editing the text of the shape/group remains possible if you double-click it - you will see the shape in a link-back window, in which its contents can be edited. Save and close the Linkback window to return to your main canvas.

This is a workaround, but I think a simple checkbox of some sort when selecting a collection of objects should permit visual scaling, even of the text object.

I know it doesn’t work that way now, but shouldn’t it?

In the Geometry inspector, change the setting of the first popup from “No Scaling” to “Scale Font”. Your font size will now scale automatically as you change the size of the shape. (You can set this on individual shapes or on an entire group.)

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Ken, Thank you for your kind and speedy reply,

I am using 5.4.4. There are no such options in the Geometry Inspector as you describe them.

I would love to be able to afford the upgrade at this time, but it’s not in the cards. I look forward to enjoying the updates in the future.

Mark Weiss
D.Mark Weiss
PhD Candidate
Research Assistant/Dr. Brian Belland
dmark.weiss@usu.edu

A post was split to a new topic: Reasons for sticking with OmniGraffle 5

Oh, sorry! Yes, you’re right: adding automatic scaling was a common request in version 5 and earlier, so we added that feature in OmniGraffle 6.

I just thought I’d note that between our 50% upgrade discount and our 40% educational discount (available on our Educational Store), you can upgrade to the latest version for just $60 (rather than paying the $200 list price).

1 Like