Three questions about the OF3 beta for Mac

1. Are the status circles supposed to be on the right-hand or the left-hand end of the task entry? In my beta copy of OF3, the circles are on the left-hand end, but the documentation inside the beta talks of the circles being on the right. (Have I missed a preference setting? Alternatively, I remember the position of the circles being the centre of a debate when OF2 was launched, in response to which a piece of software became available which changed the position of the circles and which I installed. Has this affected my copy of OF3 also?)

2. Will there be a "compactā€™ layout for OF3, with a smaller typeface? This too I remember being an option for OF2, and I certainly preferred it.

3. When I drag and drop an OF3 task into a BusyCal calendar, a second, untitled entry is also created in the calendar, which I then have to delete. Is this an OF3 error? I do not recall it happening with OF2 tasks.

Thanks.

If you go to the view settings and change the layout to Fluid, the status circles are on the right.

OF3 for Mac now defaults to Custom. The status circles will be on the left.

The status circles on the right was used in the iOS version. Many phone users tend to be right handed and it was easier to tap the status circle on the right to complete it.

Not sure about the other questions. Sorry.

Many thanks for the clarification, wilsonng. (Incidentally, Iā€™ve found your longer contributions to this and other forums very helpful.)

3 Likes

Dragging from OF3 to Fantastical 2 or the Apple Calendar app seems to work. But it doesnā€™t seem to honor the estimated duration anymore. šŸ˜ž

Maybe one way to create a compact layout is to use the Custom settings and fit in just the fields that you want. It does seem like I need to set my OF3 window a little wider now to fit what I want.

Thank you. Iā€™m glad you enjoy the contributions. Youā€™re always invited to post anything (questions, observations, contributions) either here on any of the other forums! šŸ˜‰

Iā€™ve seen this behaviour with OmniFocus 2 as well. I recommend contacting BusyMac Support to request that this be fixed.

1 Like

Thanks Tim. Done.

1 Like

ā€œDragging from OF3 to Fantastical 2 or the Apple Calendar app seems to work. But it doesnā€™t seem to honor the estimated duration anymore. šŸ˜žā€

Yes, thatā€™s definitely a shame. I think that itā€™s only a few months since Fantastical enabled the honouring of an OF taskā€™s estimated duration.

Given what seems to be the increasing popularity of ā€œblock-schedulingā€ or ā€œhyper-schedulingā€ (q.v. MacSparky, for example) I believe that this functionality would certainly be worth re-creating in Fantastical, and creating in BusyCal.

ā€œDragging from OF3 to Fantastical 2 or the Apple Calendar app seems to work. But it doesnā€™t seem to honor the estimated duration anymore. šŸ˜žā€

This seems to be working fine (for me at least). I just did some testing with the latest OmniFocus 3 for Mac beta. Specifically, I filled in the estimated time field for an action and dragged it into Fantastical. I tried both 15-minute and two-hour durations, and in both cases the appointment length matched the estimated duration of the task.

Yes, thatā€™s definitely a shame. I think that itā€™s only a few months since Fantastical enabled the honouring of an OF taskā€™s estimated duration.

Actually Fantastical has been pulling in the duration value for over three years. Itā€™s always worked reliably for me.

Yes, thanks Tim - I donā€™t know why it failed to work at the time I tried it. As regards Fantastical - more correct for me to say that I was told about the feature only a few months ago. Looking back through these forums, it appears that the OF/BusyCal issue has been present for a while. A pity about BusyCal - I prefer some of its functionality to that of Fantastical.

Iā€™ve found that another application that was inter-operable with OF2 does also work, up to a point, with OF3. Vitamin-R, the pomodoro-timer now on its third version, accepts a dragged-and-dropped OF3 task, sets its timer according to the taskā€™s duration, and takes on the first tag in OF3ā€™s list for the task. When finished, it doesnā€™t seem to complete the task in OF3, however.

Yes, thanks Tim - I donā€™t know why it failed to work at the time I tried it. As regards Fantastical - more correct for me to say that I was told about the feature only a few months ago. Looking back through these forums, it appears that the OF/BusyCal issue has been present for a while. A pity about BusyCal - I prefer some of its functionality to that of Fantastical.

Youā€™re very welcome. OmniFocus used to work correctly with BusyCal, but it broke a while back. If you havenā€™t already, I encourage you to drop the good folks at BusyMac a line to remind them that this functionality is still broken.

Iā€™ve found that another application that was inter-operable with OF2 does also work, up to a point, with OF3. Vitamin-R, the pomodoro-timer now on its third version, accepts a dragged-and-dropped OF3 task, sets its timer according to the taskā€™s duration, and takes on the first tag in OF3ā€™s list for the task. When finished, it doesnā€™t seem to complete the task in OF3, however.

Good to know Vitamin-R is at least partially working with OmniFocus 3. I havenā€™t looked at this app in a while an plan to revisit it as a potential addition to the OmniFocus App Directory that I hosted on Learn OmniFocus.

1 Like