Tracking/Timing Tasks : My Dream OF/2 Functionality

I’ve been using Vitamin-R as a Pomodoro app – it’s the best I’ve seen. I’ve also used aTimeLogger for time tracking, but it’s pretty basic and limited. Ideally, I’d like to more seamlessly integrate OmniFocus with the other two apps – i.e., use a time tracking app to keep track of how I employ time, and Vitamin-R when I need to focus on a particular task.

There used to be a script that allowed users to that starts a new Toggl task (the time tracking app) named after the selected Omnifocus task. Unfortunately, the script no longer exists! Has anyone else found a new script or means of doing this?

Thanks very much!

Although there’s no direct link to OmniFocus, I use OfficeTime on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac to do time tracking.

http://www.officetime.net

I don’t have an Apple Watch but there is a watch app available for those interested.

I’ve been in touch with the original creator of the Omnifocus2toggl script, and he sent me the script that he produced. It’s a workflow script, and thought it could be set up through the Services shortcuts. I don’t have enough technical knowledge to know how to do that – or even know how else to manipulate the script.

I am uploading the script below so that others can see how to use it, and amend the script, as needed.

Also, can someone can advise how to set it up as a Services shortcut (or use it in some other similar capacity)? Thank you!

Omnifocus2toggl script

Any ideas / suggestions for how to make this script work so that one can sync tasks between OmniFocus and Toggl?

Thanks!

+1 for integration with a task timer. I’m currently moving off On The Job and trying out Toggl.

Ok, but as far as I know there still isn’t any integration w/ Toggle and OmniFocus.

Or have you found one??

That would be amazing. Please let me (us) know. Thanks!

I’m afraid I haven’t found a solution. Toggl didn’t end up having the features I needed, so now I think I’d vote for integration with Billings.

I have two relevant OF Perspectives here:

• Interstitial - which is for tasks of 5 mins or less
  • 15 Minutes - which is for tasks under 15 mins

Part of my game plan is to get things done that only take very little time - because I know they’ll soon be over.

However, I have to populate the durations myself.

For repeatedly rescheduled (once done) tasks such as “vacuum the stairs” what’s proposed here could help automate setting the durations.

There are also tasks that should only take 5 mins, say, such as “freshen the bathroom” where I could also use “you have exceeded the time budget” nudges from OF (or some integrated tool).

I really liked Eggscellent otherwise, unfortunately OF freeze every time Eggscellent is looking for flagged tasks, and I loose a few seconds/sometimes minutes. The sun does not stop shine from that, but it bugged me out a little.

Instead I just bought the app Focus (https://masterbuilders.io) after I emailed with the developer, that said they are looking into a way of a deeper integration with OF. Right now you can drag and drop tasks, even multiple tasks into it. It´s something like an updated pomodoro-timer with a clean UI.

Still waiting for a good tracking/timing and still would love that feature direct in of.

1 Like

It would be amazing if Focus app enabled a two way feature.

I have suggested that a couple times to the developers…

1 Like

I recognize the need and have landed on this thread a few times earlier seeing whether there’d been a response.

I’m now playing around with @samuelkordik’s script to start and complete Toggl tasks from Omnifocus, which seems to work some/most of the time!

Also curious whether @jprint ever found a way to sync Omnifocus and Toggl projects…

Erwin

1 Like

I switched from Omnifocus to Todoist for this exact same reason (they have a nice integration with toggl). However, if there ever is a timer integration with Omnifocus, I’d come right back.

1 Like

I’m going through the same thing at the moment. I work with a team that uses Toggl and I tried out the integration with Todoist a few weeks ago. It’s really clever and might just tip me over to Todoist in 2018. To be able to start a timer from a task and have toggl use the task details instead of entering the data twice is a dream.

I love OmniFocus, it’s been my constant rock for many, many, years, but I’m starting to struggle now I work with a team who use Trello, Slack and Toggl.

Sorry for my late reply to do this.

No, I never found a way way to sen Omnifocus and Toggl.

I actually use Omnifocus and Vitamin-R, which is not a task timer app but rather a Pomodoro app. I still wish there was a way to integrate a task timer feature in Omnifocus… Lets hope the Omni developers take heed!

Good luck, and keep me posted…

1 Like

Vitamin-R is horrible.

Seriously, this is super simple to implement and it would be a killer feature.

2 Likes

On that we concur. Lets hope OmniFocus can include this feature!

Thanks for all of your help…

Nothing is as simple as it seems. 🤔

2 Likes

its a bit hard but more worth it! :)

Hello!
I’m new to the forum, but thought I offer some input.

My solution to the challenge is Shortcuts on iOS. I created a shortcut that let’s me pick from my tasks in OmniFocus & starts a Toggle timer with the name of the task (via the app Timery). I can also pick a project & tag in the Shortcut. It is an extra step as there is no direct integration but I noticed it makes me more aware of potential multi tasking & increases my focus.

If anybody is interested, I can share some screenshots or the actual shortcut!

Christine

1 Like