Upgrade frequency and associated cost

I’ve been using an open source product that I’m not happy with so I am looking to move to Omnifocus Standard $39.99 for OS X only.

I was wondering how often does a major upgrade come out as I’m trying to figure out how often do I need to pay to upgrade the product. I’m guessing every time there’s a new OS X, there’ll be an upgrade?

I’ve read https://support.omnigroup.com/do-i-pay-for-updates

I don’t want to be locked into a situation where I have to upgrade every 12 months or so even if it’s only $19.99.

Thanks.

So far, there’s been one paid upgrade, which was early 2014 (OF1 to OF2). Unless Omni is about to change it’s charging model, there’s no annual update cycle.

Also, OF1 continues to work, so the upgrade wasn’t forced

2 Likes

Let’s take a look…

OmniFocus 1.0 released on January 8,2008

OmniFocus 2.0 released on May 21, 2014

That’s about 6 years between version 1.0 to version 2.0. They never charged for version 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, etc.

It sounds safe to say that OmniFocus 2.x will be here for a long time. It doesn’t look like Omnigroup is following the same crazy annual upgrade cycle that we saw with the Adobe Creative Suite where we had to pay for yearly upgrades.

Thanks all. Sounds like they look after their customers best interest. So far, so good.