Viewing the Inbox at the same time as Projects? [Available in v2.10]

I’m used to it. But that doesn’t mean I like it at all.

I just wasn’t productive due to this issue, so I went back to OF1. What a huge difference. Felt like I could breathe again.

I created a keyboard maestro macro to open a new window, bring up inbox, get rid of sidebar and inspector and resize it to the smallest possible, and then bound that to a hotkey trigger for OmniFocus.

Pretty much agree with everyone else. Would be nice if it were easier (more intuitive) to move things from my Inbox to a project. I do this pretty much every time I open OF.

One problem with the two window approach is I’m dragging items into folders - which then stay open so I can’t see the folders underneath them :-/ The fix is then closing that folder after dragging item in which is a serious PITA.

I’ve been an OF user for many years, but between my own issues keeping up and the difficulty of the new UI I’m getting kinda frustrated and starting to think about looking elsewhere.

Sigh…

Went back to OF1. Temporary, I hope.
Omni?

I find I work out of the inbox more, leave stuff there more, file first less. Not great.

I’ve been watching this thread since before the official release and was part of the beta. The last word in this thread from Omni was June 18. Have I got that right?

I’m a patient person, but it’s been over 90 days. What gives? I thought we’d hear something, at least a direction, by now.

I’ve managed to find my own workaround, but borderline hate it. I don’t mind paying good money for good software, but that good software must include good support. Feeling like I spent my money and got left behind.

90 days and no updates? Seriously considering going back to OF1 and for the first time ever, even looking for a different solution.

1 Like

Do it. You’ll instantly remember how awesome OF1 is. I hope they keep supporting it.

Horses for courses! I love OF2 and although I’d love to see inbox items in my perspective, it’s not enough to make me switch back! Just wanted to defend OF2 due to all the defectors! :)

My main perspective includes showing flagged items. So I go into the inbox and just flag them all so they appear in the top of my perspective as No Context so I don’t forget about them. Of course, I still have to keep remembering to check the inbox which I sometimes forget, but it’s a half way approach until we can see inbox tasks in perspectives.

With respect, this proves my point. Even someone defending OF2 is waiting for an update to permit Inbox and Projects together, and agrees it’s a halfway approach.

Yeah I agree with what your saying. I was just saying for me its not a big enough issue to go back to OF1!

I use OmniFocus 1 to process my inbox. I also use OmniFocus 1 to organize my projects and tasks because I have a theme with a much greater screen density, that looks good on my 27" iMac.

I use OmniFocus 2 for Forecast and Review.

It’s not a perfect set up by far. I’m waiting on the ability to process the inbox like OF 1 and to customize themes. Hopefully, this will come soon.

Keeping this alive. This feature is desperately wanted. I’m very sad I upgraded.

1 Like

Go back to OF1. Best thing I did. Not just for the inbox; it’s all around better.

1 Like

Wow come on guys … it’s been months now.

I just finished processing my inbox, and I ran into the same issue, I keep needing the projects view on the side. All of the workarounds mentioned are great … but they are STILL WORKAROUNDS … why do I need a workaround for something that used to be great in version 1, but does not exist in version 2 ?

I came here thinking that this was probably fixed and that I simply missed a checkbox on the interface.

Seriously thinking about moving back to of 1, the view was compact, you could control what you see and don’t see it was great all around …

I’ve been using of2 with the “hack” to use the alternate view (the one that looks more like of1) … why are all those things needed as workarounds for a product that’s been out for months?

I hope that helps revive the discussion, and get the omni group on it …

Happy new year everyone ! :-)

Can’t believe they’re not at all focussed on responding to customers needs.

Not taking a paycheck from Omnigroup, but I’ll jump in to state this is patently untrue.

Omni has been clear that the fora are not a place to register feature requests. They jump in here a lot, but are consistently reticent on promising additional features or delivery dates.

Moreover, I have never had a request for support that was ignored. I know the design or function changes I’d like to see may or may not resonate with the many other users of this product, but the design and functionality of this app has improved my ability to do my work as a teacher and administrator.

I understand the request of the OP and others. I, too, would be interested to know why Omni omitted the folder hierarchy from the inbox in version 2.

However, I have not needed it. I respect the fact that others edit their project plans in the inbox or want the visual reminder of their project list but I have found that weekly review of my projects is enough to keep my mental list up to date, and the quick keyboard approach of tabbing and then filtering projects by beginning to type is all I need to shoot an action off to its project. I’d venture to say that perhaps Omni is adhering to a pure GTD approach in that project planning doesn’t take place in the inbox.

2 Likes

I want this. I often do this with Spring Loaded Folders on OS X, drag over a folder, hit space to open it, drop where I need to. What if the projects list didn’t slide out, you didn’t have to hit space but the view just shifted.

(sorry if there’s other people who mentioned this, i just searched the thread for “hover”)

I went back to OF1 a few months ago and haven’t looked back. Love it.