Viewing the Inbox at the same time as Projects? [Available in v2.10]

I’m glad (for you) that you’re happier than I am with OF2.

Gosh, thanks for pointing that out. I guess that’s why I said “for me”.

See above.

No, the maximum information density in OF2 is still less than in OF1.

That’s nice: it’s only been three years.

I’ve appreciated the upgrades of OmniPlan, OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle but OmniFocus has felt like it’s being developed by a different company. I hope that changes, but I’m not holding my breath.

2 Likes

@kcase - I guess I have to say I am disappointed and discouraged. I’ve read your 2016 re-cap along with your 2017 goals on the blog and I noted no mention of this request at all. In July of last year, you said we should see it “sometime in the few months” - and even went so far as to indicate that meant it would be sometime before the end of the year.

December is in the rear-view, as is January of 2017 and there is no sign that this requirement is going to be met soon. I realize that conclusion may be in error, but the original target (scroll way up to the early days of this thread) was that this would be a priority after 2.0 ships - and that target was not met - and last year a target was shared that it should finally be achieved before EOY 2016 - and that target was also not met. Couple that with the fact there was no mention of this long-standing request as a 2017 goal, and hope not only does not “spring eternal”, it withers and dies from lack of attention.

So can you - will you - please share if your plans have once again changed? And please share good news if you have it - but most of all, can you please provide an accurate assessment of the fate of this requirement? Because at the moment it sure feels abandoned - yet again.

Best,
Rique S

4 Likes

It’s now two months since @kcase was asked for comment, during which time he has commented on numerous other threads…but not this one.

If Omni really has no plans to address this issue, the '[Coming Soon]" that’s been in the thread title for the past three years is misleading at best.

3 Likes

Sorry for the delay, and sorry I missed the question in this thread. I’ll double-check with the team about timing, but now that Global Search and efficient attachment syncing are done we’re planning to have our next feature update add a “Show Inbox” view setting to the Projects perspective.

5 Likes

Thank you for the update. You’ll forgive me if I don’t celebrate just yet.

There’s an old saying in Tennessee — I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can’t get fooled again.

Of course. (That’s exactly why I hadn’t been closely monitoring this thread: I figured I’d already said what our plans were, and was planning to simply let our actions speak for us when we ship the feature rather than talking more about it. But in doing so, I missed the questions that were being asked directly of me, which is why I’m now posting and apologizing.)

4 Likes

@kcase,

Thanks for the reply, albeit delayed. Good things come to those who wait.

However, I’m not clear on what the wait will be - and so the question is, what is meant by “our next feature update”? I’ve installed the latest peek - 2.9.1 - and that feature is not in evidence. So, is 2.9.1 not a feature release? Or is it just not the “feature release”? And if it is not the release, then what will be - does “next feature release” mean that it’s expected with 2.9.2?

I would love to know more if you can offer it. Thanks!

Best regards,
Rique

I think the Release Notes page will make things a bit clearer, both regarding what releases are feature releases (2.x) and how often to expect them. Click “Older” to see more release notes.

Release Notes - Mac

We ship new features in .x releases, and bug fixes in .x.y releases. So 2.8 and 2.9 were feature releases, while 2.9.1 will be a bug fix release.

Our next feature release for Mac will be OmniFocus 2.10.

While you wait, you can actually get this done by searching for everything, with your search term being a single space. Assuming all of your items have more than one word that will show you the inbox and all your folders.

-awl

And even, for some reason, if the items don’t have more than one word!

1 Like

Thanks so much for posting this tip, and @kcase, using this little trick reminded of how natural it felt to empty my inbox while looking at all my projects. It was an everyday part of my workflow and despite trying all the workarounds (except this one), has felt like an unnecessary resistance point since we lost the ability. Happy days are here again. I suspect there are many more long time users who are unaware of this trick. You’re going to make a lot of people happy again when this single function is restored.

1 Like

The Projects and Contexts fields uses fuzzy logic for data entry. For example, I can type ‘oa’ to get Office Actions or fv to get Family Vacation.

As long as you know the general spelling, you can narrow your choices in the Projects or Contexts field.

I miss this feature as well, and have attached an image on how it could be implemented. Please note the “Arrow” on the Project to show and hide the Project list.

Just a thought, I guess you guys can make it better. As others have mentioned before me, I like it when everything fits in one window.

/FWIW, Andreas :)

Have you tried the search feature mentioned above and seen the implementation that already is made? I guess that is what it will look like when finished, and I think you will be happy with it. I will.

Aha, found it!
It’s a workaround, but it will work in the meanwhile. Thanks. 👍

@kcase

Thanks for that answer! That makes it a little more tangible from my perspective. 2.8 was released on Jan 3 and 2.9 was released on April 11. I didn’t go back further in time to see if that quarterly feature update schedule was consistent, but I am hoping that it is! :)

Is that about right? Are your feature releases released roughly on a quarterly cycle? If so, July is right around the corner! :)

Best,
Rique

OmniFocus 2.10 is now in public test. Quoting from the release notes:

• Inbox in Projects — Added a preference to the Organization preferences pane that shows the Inbox in the Projects sidebar and its contents in the outline.

Enjoy!

10 Likes

‘Inbox in Projects’ is a great enhancement, thanks! Although I wonder why it isn’t enabled by default and not require a Preference at all? (Or perhaps a hidden pref to disable it, if some power users wish to disable it.)

let’s just be happy that having the inbox in the projects view is here… :-)

2 Likes