We need to talk about OF3

While I do take your point Wilsonng, I have a feeling if one looks at the update schedule and speed of new significant development and features of OF vs the other OG apps since V1, OF has indeed lagged behind the other apps - almost assuredly because the target audience and “market cap” for that application is much smaller than the others (OG will sell far more licenses of the others vs OF). But that doesn’t change my opinion that a true GTD productivity app is an absolutely critical one for its users and with few if any viable alternatives - and essential GTD functions= clearly set forth in Dave Alan’s book since day 1 missing since inception - these ommissions have become glaring and extremely frustrating (to me at least and a few others I’ve noted). That said, I will of course wait for V3 and pray it’s not months and months more (as 2018 slips away) and OG does a fantastic job implementing the new feature set I’ve been waiting TEN YEARS for…

I’d love to see these features yesterday as well. But it is what it is. Like most software cycles, it comes in iteration. Release the app for sale, start work on next release, incrementally add new features, release again.

Looking at the release history, a lot has been made since V1. Things such as Omni Sync Server, email to OmniFocus, iPad version, iPhone version, multiple tags, etc. took a long gestation period to finally get to us.

You’ll only have to wait for May 30 for OF3 for iOS to get released and possibly a short time after for Mac TestFlight to come.

Update: I just switched my production environment to OF 3.04.

• The parallel install was no hassle at all (used a test-account on Omnisync at first).

• The Apps Workflow, Launcher Pro directed to OF3 immediately

• Killer feature (for me): The new perspective editor (finally full boolean!) with the ‚show project path‘ setting provide the concise view I always craved

3 Likes

I am doing the same until end of this year with OF 3 for iOS and for Mac. So end of the year I will finally start to use OS X High Sierra, OF 3 on my Mac and iPad. Ken said in twitter that most probably OF 3 for Mac will not support oSX Sierra. I will buy OF 3 on all Platforms and will try it out see whether it is stable etc. And when OF 3 for Mac comes out in September I will start to prepare to upgrade my system. Call me paranoid but boy since oSX Yosemite and iOS (10) I am so (!) afraid of upgrades…

Collaboration hasn’t been implemented either.

But it is on the roadmap. Omni had to prioritize certain features. OmniJS, nagging notifications, and collaboration will need some more polishing. I’d rather they get it right than try to rush out an incomplete version.

1 Like

I’d have taken collaboration which has been requested by many 1st over tags.