When clipping, what does a "Error compiling handler script” message mean?

Exactly the same problem here…

But it shouldn’t be the case that a PRO license is required to use the Clippings function, which has always been standard and doesn’t require the user to write or import any scripts — right? I just updated my license to OmniFocus 2 (Standard) and I still am having this issue.

Scratch that. I just uninstalled the ‘second beta’ version I’d been running (with my license attached), and re-downloaded OF2 from the website. The clippings work perfectly now.

I’ve got this annoying problem too.
I’ve used the OF1 (try period) before buying the new OF2.

I’ve try to uninstall everything… but when i reinstall OF2, it magically founds all my settings.

I’dont know if it is related, but now, all the “email send to omnifocus inbox” looses the link back to the original email.

This was one of the reason i bought OF2…

Is there a way to do a fresh, clean install from scratch ? => OK, i’ve got to parse all item in my Library to find omnifocus entry, but clean install does not change anything

This is a real nightmare, no link to original email message

I had the same “Error compiling handler script” error. I installed v2 but I remembered I chose to keep both versions. I uninstalled both versions and reinstalled v2. My information is synced to the cloud.

Everything works now. Make sure you use an uninstaller that gets rid of all application support files. I use the App Sweep utility in Hazel.

This worked for me. After uninstalling (with Hazel) I also did “secure empty trash”. Thanks!

p.s. but clipping from Firefox/Safari is still not working, grrrr

p.p.s. and now, one day later, unfortunately all the original error messages are back and clipping doesn’t work at all. Please Omnigroup give us an update to solve this problem.

1 Like

After initially working after reinstalling, the error message returned after setting a clippings shortcut. Yes, please Omnigroup, fix this.

1 Like

Back to having my problems again — which is odd because I didn’t believe I’d updated. Now I tried an uninstall and clean reinstall, and still can’t keep the error message from coming back.

I too am having the same problem. Posted details in this thread.

It makes the quick capture feature pretty useless, so PLEASE do something about it. I’d be happy to provide you with crash logs or whatever else is necessary for you to get a grip on this. Thanks.

I also have a similar problem with OF2 only with the Chrome browser

Error compiling handler script for <ScriptHandler:0x608000113830 com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.ScriptHandler.GoogleChrome NSBundle </Applications/OmniFocus.app/Contents/PlugIns/BuiltInClippingHandlers.plugin> (not yet loaded)>: Expected end of line but found property.

Same error - this is kinda annoying. Please - fix it :)

This problem was corrected in OmniFocus 2.0.1.

If the problem persists after updating (Choose the OmniFocus → Check for Updates… menu item), please write to us at omnifocus@omnigroup.com.

The problem “Expected end of line but found property.” has returned in Chrome. It’s weird. I have now OmniFocus 2.0.2

I was wondering if this problem is related to this http://www.leancrew.com/all-this/2011/09/applescript-browser-tab-weirdness/ Safari has been updated recently (7.0.6 on Aug 14) and Google silently updates (current version 36.0.1985.143). I hope this can help you to catch the bug.

Just updated to 2.0.3 and getting the same error. Was hoping one of these dot releases would fix it.

Thinking I’ll try wiping everything and doing a clean instalI. Could be lingering issue from having OF1 previously.

I use cloud sync… is there any benefit to preserving any of the backup files on my laptop? Is there preferences file I can save and restore so I my configuration is saved?

Had this problem with Chrome and OmniFocus 2.0.3. Fixed it by editing the applescript at /Applications/OmniFocus.app/Contents/PlugIns/BuiltInClippingHandlers.plugin/Contents/Resources/Chrome.applescript

Problem was I have parallels installed, and so I had to change the line:

tell application "Google Chrome"

to:

tell application "/Applications/Google Chrome.app"

because the mac got confused if i meant the google chrome in parallels or on OS X… i think. Anyway, adding the direct link worked.

2 Likes

Thank you, that worked for me also.

Thank you so much for figuring this out!
Fixed the issue - I registered an account just to let you know that you made my day with something you shared two years ago :-)

1 Like

Same here three years later. Omnifocus, you might incorporate this fix into your plugin.

Sorry for the trouble folks! The bundled script has not been edited because referring to an Application by its absolute path is not technically correct and will break in several situations.

Does everyone who has this problem have Parallels or VMWare installed? We’re wondering if the Unity/Coherence versions of the windows version of Chrome are the source of the problem.

Regardless, we’re wondering if folks who do have this problem can try editing the tell line to

tell application id "com.google.Chrome"

instead of referencing the path. Does this also fix the problem? The line above is something that we actually can ship bundled.

I do have Parallels installed.

I tried the fix you suggest, using

tell application id "com.google.Chrome"

and it appears to fix the problem as well.

Thanks for the confirmation! We’ll get that change into the 2.10 test builds and hopefully it won’t break anything else.