Where does a deleted item go? iPhone, iPad, or Mac

Anyhow bakcups are too burdensome and take longer, then just searching eg. in the trash bin.

Guys it became so burdensome. I disabled the delete button in Omnifocus through the BetterTouchTool App, so I don’t accidentally delete tasks. But I have the problem now that I always have to press shift to delete a word inside a note.

Does somebody has another Idea how I could achieve it to delete a task with delete + another key and deleting a word while editing a task with the normal delete key? That would be awesome! Thanks!

Maybe just use command-x to cut a task out ?

It could be anything. But my desire is that the delete key itself doesn’t delete a task but the delete key itself can delete symbols or words inside the task or note field, just like in any other word editor. So my goal is to keep all the functionality, except then deleting a task with the delete key.

If you are interested in further discussions check:

1 Like

Putting in a +1 for this. Can’t let these threads die. It’s inconceivable how an app as powerful as OF has been lacking the most basic functionality for years.

2 Likes

thank you very much. I just can hope more people, who care about security in OF, can join and write the support an email.

Also +1 from me!

1 Like

It’s probably already been mentioned in the thread, but whilst posting ‘+1’ here is fine, but it’s not an effective way to make feature requests. Get in contact via an official support channel (email; omnifocus@omnigroup.com) to make certain it’s received and logged.

4 Likes

nostodnayr is right. I hope you can also send OF an Email. What they mostly look at is how many people wrote to them about this request over which period of time.

Ken wrote something about this! :) Where does a deleted item go? iOs or Mac

OK, I accidentally deleted something, while just trying to delete a tag. I was in the list view, clicked on the tag on the line item and pressed Delete. Instead of deleting the tag, it deleted the whole task. Then, I immediately did Edit / Undo… except it doesn’t Undo at all.

Couldn’t find the Trash.

Then I find this thread, and find out that it is deliberately designed this way - delete and it is done, no Undo, no Trash.

So don’t ever make a mistake. You have (not) been warned.

An arrogant attitude by OmniGroup is what I say!

Wow, not good.

1 Like

Yes Im also shocked by their attitude for years now. Please send an E-Mail to the support. This is the only way to make our voice being heard and make them change their way of thinking!

Hello everyone, any updates on this? Cal Newport recently had a podcast with macsparky talking about the unnecessitiy of cranking todo lists etc. and after all those years I think it is beautiful.

I want to move from OF to a more “easy” system, especially one, which is more secure against deleting my thoughts etc. Real productivity comes without cranking a todo app, perspectives and automation in my opinion.

Cal Newport idealizes working life for his theory and gives his advice to people who hold similar professional positions. In my 26 years as a software developer, I didn’t need any to-do lists either. As a team, we had project plans that also determined the timing of our work.
Now, professionally, I support young people with problems in their lives. For example, if I blocked Deep Work tasks on my calendar and scheduled all tasks on my calendar instead of on to-do lists, I could rearrange everything 10 minutes later. It is almost absolutely impossible to schedule work to be done very precisely in advance.
I receive vast amounts of information during the workday, some of which require urgent action. With Newport’s proposed schedule, half my work would be spent erasing and rescheduling everything on my calendar.
For me, the (project) lists in Omnifocus are ideal. I use time tags (f.e. Today, Monday, Tuesday … This Weekend, Next Week , May, June … Quarter 3, 2024, 2025 ) for rough timing and a lot of custom perspectives. For me GTD and Omnifocus is the ideal combination for my way of life and my work.
Most authors of time management and organizational guides make the mistake of generalizing their own working and living conditions and then building a theory on them. Like Cal Newport, I’m also an academic and used to teach at a university, but I don’t currently have a secretary in front of my office to keep me knickers away.
Everyone has to “cobble together” their own way of working from many theoretical approaches. There is no one method for everyone.
(Sorry, the previous text tempted me to deviate from the topic of the thread.)

2 Likes

After nearly one year I still think, that cranking Todo-Lists is not made for “creative heads”. Cranking to-do lists is good for secretary-hats. I like this new “easy todolist”-movement.

OF is became nothing more than a little advanced “Apple Reminders App” for me by now.

Stereotyping doesn’t help discussion really

2 Likes

In OmniFocus 4, to reduce the chance of accidents like this, we’ve followed Finder’s lead and changed the keyboard shortcut for deleting an item from Delete to Command-Delete. We’re hopeful that this little bit of extra friction will greatly reduce the number of accidental deletes!

(Of course, a popular request since making this change is that we get rid of the friction for people who prefer the bare Delete key. We plan to let users customize this behavior, so the default is safer but it’s easy to remove that friction for those who don’t want or need it.)

1 Like

GTD provides the structure for me to take care of the annoying details so that I can get back to being creative. There are times when I need to put on my secretary hat to take care of business. Then I can return back to my creative hat.

Our lives change as we move from job to job, project to project, or from one life situation to the next. Our demands for a task manager will change with it. I’m thankful that OmniFocus can flex from a powerful organizer to an advanced Apple Reminders app and back when needed.

2 Likes

Is no one else going to suggest that as a general practice you drop tasks instead of deleting them? Same effect but they still exist within your system if you want to show them. I waver between that and deletion but perhaps due to my propensity to drop things fairly often, have never yet deleted something that I later regretted

4 Likes

My GTD aims to get task thoughts out of my head and into omnifocus so that all of my brain power can be used for life instead of constantly thinking about the next task. Omnifocs offers the flexible structure and functions that allow me to adapt complex tasks to the way I work. Many self-created perspectives and a great tag system make Omnifocus easy to use.
I currently have around 150 scheduled tasks in Omnifocus just for the private sector (without office), of which around 40 tasks are tasks with a regular repeat function (e.g. the 2-yearly obligation to have the car inspected at the State Technical Inspection Office, TBE vaccination every 3 years, start the annual tax return early every year, take bicycles for inspection, refill the heating water montly, flush the water filter, prepare the sourdough for baking bread, clean the espresso machine monthly etc. …). The upcoming repair work on our building requires a lot of well-structured projects with many different tasks, trim bushes on the property, new tires for the mountain bikes, book tickets for a rock concert in 2 months, take old cables to the residual waste station, worktop in the kitchen treat with oil …
I often hear “Oh shit, I forgot about that” from people I know who consider themselves to be creative. For an employee in the company, this saying is part of everyday office life at least once a day. For example, if I have a training course and tell my colleague, please remember to fill out the extension application with Mr. XYZ tomorrow and send it off. “Yes I’ll do it”. 3 days later “Oh sorry, I forgot that, my head is so full.”.
Today we live in a time in which everything is becoming faster and the complexity of everyday life and the office is increasing. I use Omnifocus and it makes me happy to live without a red flicker in the deep corner of my brain about upcoming important, scheduled tasks.
Every evening I pull the current week’s new tasks from Omnifocus into iCal, estimate how long I need for each task and adjust the daily structure. It’s wonderfully easy to learn how to correctly estimate the amount of time required for various tasks and also take your current state of mind into account when planning. You can see your week visually in front of you. When I’m planning, I quickly see, oh my God, I didn’t even think about myself when planning. Given the amount of tasks, shouldn’t I plan a sauna and wellness day? GTD with Omnifocus and calendar planning, which I’ve been doing for a short time, is really letting me thrive. This leaves my head totally free for other things in my life.

1 Like