Your Top 3 New Features for OmniFocus Mac

Tags
Multiple Contexts
Core feature consistency between iOS iPad/iPhone and macOS versions

Multiple contexts/tags are mentioned in this tweet:

3 Likes

A Forecast view that doesn’t make your brain work in overdrive.

The current view works as follows:

• Tasks are listed vertically
  • Calendar events are listed vertically by day then horizontally within the day by time.

Constantly moving down then across, then down, then across, then down… You get the picture. Not logical.

Just make the appointments within a day go down the page rather than across. Easy fix, easy the brain, more brain power for getting things done.

3 Likes

My top new feature would be multiple contexts per task.

2 Likes
  1. Resizing the columns like in OF1
  2. Sorting the columns by clicking on column headers like in OF1
  3. Being able to do a “save as” of a perspective like in OF1
2 Likes
  1. Multiple contexts per Task
  2. More customized perspectives with more complex filter options
  3. Back button

I’d like the ability to link to a note in Apple Notes from an action. This link should work on iOS as well as OS-X.
(I realise this may be difficult because Apple Notes doesn’t support URL scheme)

1. URL Schemes for MAC
  2. Option to convert task to URL Scheme (maybe, copy as url scheme)
  3. URL Schemes for MAC

I think this is already covered… Select a task or a project and select Edit > Copy as Link

It copies a URL link to the clipboard. Here is what a sample looks like.

omnifocus:///task/eFWpFKiI9aD

Don’t know if URL schemes are available for Mac. I think we use Applescript to do our automation workflows for OmniFocus 2 for Mac.

Just in case, here are some known URL schemes known for OmniFocus 2 for iOS:

https://inside.omnifocus.com/url-schemes

@wilsonng #2) recinded. Thanks for pointing that out.
Items #1, #3… hopefully.

1. Defer flag (i.e. become flagged at a future date). Similar to how you can defer the start date, however the action will continue to show, but will not be flagged until the set date. That would let me use due dates as they are intended and wouldn’t hide the task so I don’t make a second one forgetting that I already had one.

2. Alias’s of tasks (or ability to appear somewhere twice) - like I could make a custom list for a special purpose and drag alias’s or linked clones of certain tasks into them without moving the task from its home position. Currently I use OmniOutliner and copy tasks in when I want to make a particular list (while leaving all actions still in their home projects and contexts).

3. Custom ordering in the “Flagged” perspective (and I guess other perspectives).

Hi, these are my 3 new features for Omnifocus Mac:

1. Custom metatada
  2. URL Schemes for MAC like iOS
  3. Visual customization like OF1 with conditionals
    Bye!

I’d like the option to make the notes field wider. Now it is a small field which fills up quickly (I can add more text but that isn’t visible anymore without scrolling).

I’m not sure I’m getting this right. I’m not an automation expert so maybe somebody can explain this to me?

From what I understand, URL schemes were introduced as a way to script or automate apps in iOS. There is no Applescript capability in iOS.

On the Mac platform, the capabilities to create scripts/workflows is done under Applescript. Would there be any significant advantages of URL schemes vs. Applescript?

Unless it is making more sense when the head of the Applescript team left Apple…

Then maybe URL schemes is the new way forward for automation? This is the feeling I’m getting.

All “URL Schemes” was (were?) was a creative use of the protocol handler in iOS.

So Omnifocus can register as a protocol handler in iOS to handle URLs of the form “omnifocus:”. The “omnifocus” in that is the protocol name, just like “http” and “https” are protocols. When something is registered as a protocol handler it gets the rest of the URL to work with.

The rest is a SMOP*, not magic.

That’s iOS. Now, if Mac OS allows protocol handlers then a (possibly different) SMOP applies, but it’s still a protocol handler from the app(lication).

So, if protocol handlers are possible in Mac OS, it’s not unreasonable to ask an app to consider developing one. (Though, as has been said elsewhere, URL schemes are not the best way to automate.)

Hope that Helps.

• Simple / Small :-) Matter Of Programming.

Having spent too many hours recently trying to get Ulysses via URL schemes to perform basic tasks that would be trivial in an application with a good AppleScript dictionary, there’s no way I could recommend that approach unless absolutely necessary.

The good news is that omni is working with Sal to develop cross-platform JavaScript for all their products.

1 Like
  • Add dialog to move projects and action groups around in the Projects hierarchy
  • Add more flexible date repeats (first Tuesday Thursday of every month) without having to duplicate actions.
  • Make templating features standard (the excellent work of Chris Suavé notwithstanding

Not essential, but would be nice:

• Add inbox viewable with projects
  • Add “Complete when completing last action” toggle to iOS
1 Like

Loving a lot of the suggestions here. How about:

● Ability to add additional user-configurable columns as in OmniOutliner. (I’d love to be able to use a “soft deadline” field distinct from the existing hard due date, for example, or a “people” field, and also be able to sort by those custom columns.)
● Status menu of perspectives and perhaps tasks that are due soon and/or flagged
● Copy as link for perspectives. (I know I can type out a perspective URL manually, but I tend to use emoji and other non-ASCII characters in my perspective names, and I usually can’t get the links to work.)

A people field will probably be taken care of when Tags becomes available.

For myself, I tend to make my due dates a few days before the actual deadline. It’s in my personality to just get ahead of myself so that I can avoid last minute emergencies. My soft deadline is the time I really want to get something done.

One custom field I would love to make would be a cost field. It’s something task managers rarely do, but how nice would it be to associate costs with tasks/projects?