Archiving and the two OmniFocus versions

The latest build restores the Archive feature. As noted in the Release Notes,

You should only ever archive from a single copy of OmniFocus. Once you migrate your archive to OmniFocus 2, avoid archiving in OmniFocus 1. There’s also no way to automatically merge multiple archives; don’t archive in OmniFocus 2 if you’re still using OmniFocus 1 to handle your archive.

If you aren’t sure you understand, please ask questions before using the archive in OmniFocus 2, as fixing problems later will be challenging.

5 Likes

By the way, the first time you try to archive in OmniFocus 2, it will notice that you have no archive, and ask if you have an OmniFocus 1 archive you’d like to copy over.

Also, if you migrate your archive to OF2 and then really really want to go back to using OmniFocus 1 as your primary archive, you can, but you’ll need to manually copy the archive back. Feel free to contact support@omnigroup.com if you need help with this or any other part of moving back to OmniFocus 1.

4 Likes

The migration feature is really, really cool. I now have all my old data (back to early 2008) in just one archive. Great job! Thanks.

I just archived my V2 data. However, Omnifocus did not offer to migrate my old V1 data. What do I need to do?

@menza I believe you’ll want to open both archives side-by-side and drag items from one to the other. (May want to make a safety copy of both before starting in on this.)

If you have any hesitations, please email our Support Humans to coach you through this safely.

That was super helpful as I was looking for this answer in various places and took some serious google digging to find this.

I upgraded from v. 1 to v. 2. I wish to open my archive. I don’t want to archive anything currently; it seems the only way to get OF to ask me if I want to open my v.1 archive is to archive at least one item. Note: I don’t need to use my v. 1 archive in v. 1 ever again.