(a) Custom or multiple reminders (b) bulk edit items on iPhone

I have a couple of questions hoping more seasoned users can help:

1. Can I set custom or multiple reminders to remind myself to perform a task at a specific date and/or time? There appears to be no option to do so. I would think that custom reminders is an essential feature for task managers, not least one as ‘venerable’ as the Omnifocus brand. Many, many task managers have this feature (2Do, Todoist etc.).

2. Is there any way i can bulk edit multiple tasks on iOS? For instance, to move multiple objects under a parent task or to flag them? The only method appears to be to edit them individually as per the official documentation, which is pain-stakingly slow and a mind-bogglingly stupid design.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Can I set custom or multiple reminders to remind myself to perform a task at a specific date and/or time? There appears to be no option to do so. I would think that custom reminders is an essential feature for task managers, not least one as ‘venerable’ as the Omnifocus brand. Many, many task managers have this feature (2Do, Todoist etc.).

For tasks that need to be done at a specific time, I either schedule them in the calendar with one or more alarms or use the Reminders app that comes with Mac & iOS. OmniFocus is currently geared more towards managing projects and actions and is not really designed for time-based reminders.

Is there any way i can bulk edit multiple tasks on iOS? For instance, to move multiple objects under a parent task or to flag them? The only method appears to be to edit them individually as per the official documentation, which is pain-stakingly slow and a mind-bogglingly stupid design.

Bulk editing isn’t available on iOS yet. I agree this would be a useful feature and I encourage you to submit this suggestion to the Omni Group (if you haven’t already). In the meantime, bulk editing is supported on the Mac. For example, you can select a group of actions and Flag them or move them into a group.

Cheers,
Tim

1 Like

Thanks very much for the work around. I respectfully disagree with the justification for the omission of time-based reminders though. Omnifocus is fundamentally a task manager whether you want to describe it as a ‘manager for projects and actions’ or give it any other fancy description. It is always essential to be able to set reminders regardless of how complex a task manager is. The ideal setup, for me at least, is to have a task manager that deals with all to-dos (including reminders) and a calendar for proper events (meetings etc.). To have to use a separate app for reminders is needlessly cumbersome.

On bulk editing, i find it shockingly disappointing that omnigroup hasn’t implemented it considering how they’ve won design awards (and pride themselves on doing so). The interface for bulk editing is prevalent in so many apps (including even the stock Apple apps). I will certainly drop omnigroup an email request although I’m certain I’m won’t be the first one.

For the same reason on my second point above, it is difficult to see how the iPhone app can truly function adequately as a stand-alone app without its companion Mac app. One of the strengths of the Omnifocus approach towards task management is the ability to break tasks into highly hierarchical steps which is frustrating to organise on the iPhone app.

I agree. I need this feature and can’t perform the action on iOS or Mac.

If the inbox is where you pour your soul out, then many related things are going to end up in there. for instances, I might be thinking about four or five projects and all of the tasks are going to end up in the inbox.

When I process them, I need to be able to move all of those tasks into their appropriate projects. It sure would be great if I could move them in one fell swoop.

As of this posting, I am having to click on each action / task and assign each and everyone of them to a project. what a pain in the a…

Help me out here. This is a commonsense request and seems so intuitive that I am shocked it’s not included or if it does exist why is it so hard to do?

This is day two of using iOS app and using the trial Mac version.

Come on Omni Group…

Don’t hold your breath. I’ve posted another thread on the tedious user interface 2 years ago (see below) and nothing has changed at all. I don’t think omnigroup cares about this.

Visit the Omnigroup 2017 Road map blog post and look under the heading: OmniFocus in 2017

You will see that bulk editing and better reminder features are a few of the things that are slated for release this year. Yes, yes… it’s late and we’ve been asking for it for a long time. I’ve also submitted this request numerous times myself but I’m glad that I will soon have the ability to bulk edit and have custom reminders.

https://discourse-test.omnigroup.com/t/looking-back-looking-ahead-2017-edition/29543