About Project Usage Question

Hi, I find that the last action in a small project is often actually the same as the name/description or purpose of the project, sometimes I find this confusing and I was wondering whether this is just me and whether others had the same concerns and had perhaps though about a way forward in OMNI.

Let me explain - I have an action to send a customer some reporting data but before doing so I need to collect and review the data - Omni would look ike this

Project-Send the customer the reporting data they have requested for January 2016
Action—Request Fred to extract the data and produce the report
Action—Review the report Fred produced with Fred
Action—Send the customer the reporting data they have requested for January 2016

In the above the last action that effective closes the project is in fact the name of the project - occasionally this gets confusing.

Hopefully I have I explained my question, thank you for any thoughts or tips

Hey there! In OmniFocus, the project itself is an actionable “thing” in your database. This way, when the project is empty, you have the chance to add more actions to it, leave it there, or mark it completed (like a task)!

In your case, I’d leave the last action off entirely. You’d send Fred a request, review the report, and then once you’ve checked those two items off, send the customer their data and check off the project. Does that help?

1 Like

The name of the Project could be shorter …

Customer Report - Jan 2016 (project)

The tasks could start with lower case verbs (and also be shorter) …

• request for Fred to generate the report
  • review the report from Fred
  • finalize comments to the report
  • send the final report to the customer

–
JJW

4 Likes

If you’re confident that the last action will, in fact, be the last thing to do, you can also set the project to be “marked complete when the last item is completed”. Then, in effect, you won’t have to check your “send report” task twice.

Also, if you set the project with a due date or flag (which are then assigned to all sub-tasks) the parent name will appear in various filters. If you do not set the parent with dates or flags, but rather assign them to individual tasks, then only the sub-tasks themselves will appear in your perspectives, etc.