Apple Watch SiriKit: “Continue on iPhone”

Just finished corresponding with a customer who wrote in about this. Sorry for the confusion, everyone! We do want to support SiriKit on Apple Watch, but there are significant technical obstacles we haven’t overcome yet.

In the meantime, we have tried to avoid creating the mistaken impression that Siri is supported on Apple Watch; that’s why our documentation for Siri support only mentions iOS 11, for example. We also explicitly do not feature-lock the trial modes in our applications because we want potential customers to be able to kick the tires and understand exactly what they’re getting.

However, I’ve filed a request with our documentation team to add an explicit disclaimer to the documentation. If anyone sees any information on our website or in our documentation that states that it is supported on Apple Watch, please let us know immediately so we can remove it.

And if @mwood (or anyone else) made a purchase they regret because they thought Siri worked on Apple Watch, that would of course be covered by our refund policy. Apologies again for the confusion.

3 Likes

Hi Anne - thanks for the feedback.

It’s been about two and a half months. Any progress or is the feature going to be available in OF3?

The state of things as described by Brian a few days ago (see below) still applies at this point. Sorry for not having additional specifics! As you can imagine we’re hoping to get Siri integration with Apple Watch fully up and running as soon as we’re able.

Many thanks! I’m hopeful the feature might show up in the next OmniFocus, where I’m guessing the developer’s are currently focusing their energies.

Can we get an update from OmniGroup on OmniFocus 3 support for SiriKit on the Apple Watch?

There’s more detail about it from MacStories than anything I can find from OmniGroup themselves:

Basically it now kind of works on Apple Watch, but it displays “You’ll need to open OmniFocus to complete this request.” and displays an “Open OmniFocus” button which launches the Apple Watch app and silently adds the task with no confirmation.

Is there any support documentation of this feature now? If so, I can’t find it.

For reference, here’s what MacStories had to say about OmniFocus 3’s SiriKit support on Apple Watch:

With OmniFocus 3, you can now use SiriKit on the Apple Watch as well. The implementation isn’t ideal in that, after you give Siri an OmniFocus command on the Watch, you’ll then have to hit a button that launches the full app before the task is added. It’s better than nothing, but in the future I hope the Watch’s SiriKit support will be completely hands-free.

I agree with this completely. It’s pretty disappointing how awkwardly this was implemented. I don’t think Things implemented it this poorly, but I could be wrong.

The SiriKit implementation competes with the (rather ancient) Reminders Capture feature, and so far Reminders Capture is the better user experience. That’s the bar the SiriKit implementation needs to meet or beat.

I just started the 14-day trial of OF3 and am evaluating whether I want to continue with my previous Pro version, or switch to Things. Which app is likely to do a better job keeping with the times over the long run? OmniFocus used to be that app, but it seems they’ve either become complacent or crippled by technical debt, while Things is passing them by. Right now the only thing holding me back is the cost of switching, the sunk cost fallacy, and fading loyalty.

1 Like

Same Experience. Some news?

And still no resolution 18 months later?