Aw c'mon. What's the longest I've had a working Clip-O-Tron, I wonder?

Seems like it’s an unusually fragile piece of software. After latest update to 10.9.4: “Incompatible Plug-ins Disabled. Mail has disabled the following plug-ins: OmniMailMessageServiceEnabler. Contact the makers…blah, blah”.

Will there be a fix for this please?

Sorry for the trouble! The Clip-o-Tron is a little fidgety because it applies a fix to Mail, and if Apple updates Mail with an OS X update, the Clip-o-Tron’s fix needs to be reapplied.

Reinstalling the Clip-o-Tron 3001 should clear this particular issue right up. You can grab the Clip-o-Tron installer from this page.

What’s more, you can have the Clip-o-Tron try to keep itself up to date now by copying the installer to your Applications folder (or anywhere, really) before running it. If you do, upon clicking Update, you should be prompted to add a login item that checks for Mail updates and installs the matching Clip-o-Tron update whenever you log in to your computer. The prompt should look something like this:

1 Like

Thank you - and thanks for the update tip!

Plugins in OS X are a “hack” at this time because there is no official API in Mail and plugins can cause instability and crash Mail. For that reason, Apple ALWAYS blocks all plugins each time there is an update to OS X. There is nothing the Omni Group can do about this, other than having a login item which can check with Omni after the update and try to fix things. This is the reason I recommend (tirelessly) that people use the “Send to OF inbox” service in OS X instead of the clip-o-tron as it works better and is supportable, but in general nobody cares.

In OS X Yosemite, Apple is providing an Extensions API which should allow for an “official” way to offer functionality like this that won’t break every time Apple does an OS X update. So down the road this should be much better, though it will require you to run OS X 10.10 Yosemite or later (i.e. it will NEVER work on Mavericks).

@CatOne makes some good points around the Mail API, and why we need to use login items and the like to try to keep our own plugins up to date. However, I want to clarify one or two issues:

• The Clip-o-Tron actually works in conjunction with the “Send to Inbox” service. All the Clip-o-Tron is doing behind the scenes is enabling this service for mail message selections, as opposed to plain text selections.
  • The Extensions API does indeed look exciting in Yosemite, and we’re keeping an eye on it. However, adopting Extensions for this kind of work again relies on Mail getting the right kind of support for it under 10.10. Yosemite itself is no silver bullet. It’s an area we’re interested in and will continue to explore, though.

I can’t get either send to inbox or clip-o-tron to work. I can choose the menu items, but nothing ever actually appears in my OF inbox.

I’m sorry to hear that! Could you get in touch via email? Our support team can certainly help you out with that issue.