Best format for imported files?

When I am bringing hand sketched drawings in to serve as a basis for the prettier vector drawing, I have been bringing in PDFs. The seem to scale well and retain sufficient detail. However, my overall file size has exploded! My current file size is 52MB…and that is less than a quarter of the drawings (have not started tracing yet).

I have lots of disk space so that’s not an issue aside from sharing the drawing. The bigger issue is application response slowing down the more graphics I add.

Maybe some of the performance can be aided by only displaying the graphics when working on those sections? But it does lead me to the following

Is there a better file format to use or would it be better to clip as much as possible before inserting into the file to improve file size and performance?

Note: You tagged this with “OmniFocus” which might reduce the number of replies you get.

I’d say, in addition to the above, if you ever send this graphic to anyone they won’t thank you for sending a file of this size.

PDF is NOT a vector format, really. So the graphic is probably ending up as an uncompressed bitmap of some sort (TIFF)?

Can you get the graphic in vector format, rather than a PDF?

Oops! Sorry about that.

As far as vector format, I will continue to research.

Thank you (and reposting to proper location now)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.