Breaking Projects Apart (And Putting Them Back Together)

Hey there! I manage multiple projects at a time. As I was learning OmniPlan, I found it easiest to keep each project in one master project file, keeping each project as a top-level task. Now that I have more of a handle on it, though, I wanted to see if there’s a way to break these projects out to separate project files, bringing them all together with a dashboard.

My main challenge is that the resources (people!) pull from the same pool for each project I work on. While I realize a dashboard will track resources, what I worry about is having to update all of the resources in 5, 10, 15 and so on projects. Is there a good workaround for this? Or a workflow, rather, that I’m missing?

And also, best practices for breaking these out to multiple projects. Thank you!

@poritsky It sounds like you might find it useful to sync resource loads between projects. Information about setting this up is available in OmniPlan’s manual: https://support.omnigroup.com/documentation/omniplan/mac/3.10.3/en/collaboration-and-multi-project-review-pro/#balancing-resource-loads-across-projects

Hope this helps!

Hi @ains — hopefully it’s OK to update this thread rather than start a new one… 😬

I have a related query. I’m using iCloud, since I don’t need to Collaborate on plans per se. The docs seems to suggest that’s the way to go to begin.

I want to use the Balancing Resource Loads Across Projects as per the docs, and your suggestion here.

Q: Does this work with iCloud, or do I need to set up using the OmniSync Server to sync the resource loads (just with myself)?

Does that make sense?

Thanks.

@carltongibson Balancing resource loads across projects does require syncing your projects to a server repository hosted via an Omni Sync Server account (or another WebDAV server). That said, I think you should be able to continue to use iCloud to sync your projects across your devices, while using the collaboration action to sync resource loads between projects, although it has been a while since I’ve personally tested this workflow out myself!

Hi @ains — thanks for the clarification. I shall experiment and see.

Have a great day!