Can I set the default search scope to "remaining"?

I love the new global search, but I almost always use the "remaining"scope. Is there a way to make this the default. Alternatively, I would be happy if I could figure out how to change the scope in the search box using the keyboard because once you change the scope it remembers it for the session.

Ditto for me. It would be great to have a way to change the default setting. Plus have a keyboard way to change the scope.

Figured out one solution, but a default setting would be even better.

• ⌥⌘F to jump to the search field
  • ⌘ to put focus on the search scope
  • ↑ and ↓ to select a different scope
  • ↵ to set scope and go back to focus on search field
  • Type your search query and press ↵

This is a decent solution as I can do it all from the keyboard. It also has the benefit that OmniFocus will remember the search scope for the duration of the session so I only need to do this once each time I use OmniFocus.

Being able to set the search scope default would be better, but this is fine.

Another suggestion is to configure Keyboard Shortcuts in System Preferences as shown in the following screenshot. I use:

⇧⌘H — Search Here
⇧⌘R — Search Remaining
⇧⌘E — Search Everything

I also created shortcuts for Show Next Tab and Show Previous Tab, matching the ones that I’m used to using in other apps, including Safari:

⇧⌘[ — Show Previous Tab
⇧⌘] — Show Next Tab

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tim Stringer
Founder, Learn OmniFocus

6 Likes

Tim: Thanks for this. I had already done the same for tabs (quite useful). But I never found any menu commands for “search remaining” and the other search options. Is there a menu option? Or, put differently, how did you know these things could be added via prefs? (I always take my cue from “if a menu option then I can create a keyboard shortcut”.)

I ask because it’s possible there might be some other non-obvious things I’d like to turn into keyboard shortcuts.

1 Like

You’re very welcome, @mitchellm.

The Search Here, Search Remaining and Search Everything menu items can be found in the Edit > Find submenu.

Generally speaking, if you’re looking for menu commands in virtually any Mac app (including OmniFocus) I recommend making use of the Search box that appears at the top of the Help menu. This command can also be triggered using ⇧⌘/ (a good shortcut to commit to memory).

For example, here’s what you’ll see if you do a search for “search” in OmniFocus:

Cheers,
Tim

Tim: thanks. Great suggestions all around. Command-shift-R is already muscle memory for me!

1 Like

@timstringer,

This is a FANTASTIC solution!!! Thanks so much. I also checked out your Learn OmniFocus website. That’s a wonderful service you are providing. Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Geoff

1 Like

In Omnifocus 2.8.2 the search scope is preserved between sessions. Very nice – this is the search feature I have been waiting for!

1 Like