Can OmniFocus pull URL title when saving website from Safari share sheet on OS X?

Is there a reason you have to manually type in the title of a webpage when saving it from Safari using the OS X share sheet? Is there an update coming that will add it automatically? Thanks!

I came here looking for a solution to this exact issue. It drives me nuts that I donā€™t get the title of the page in OF when using the share sheet.

Can I assume you havenā€™t found a workaround?

I donā€™t use the share sheet for this reason - it seems pretty useless.

I use the OmniFocus:Send to Inbox service instead, which has been around for years and works great. Iā€™ve even given it a keyboard shortcut (you can do this in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Services.

Does this work for you in Safari?

For me, it doesnā€™t appear in the available Services in Safari, though it does in other programs.

You have to have highlighted some text on the page; then services become visible and, if you Send to Omnifocus Inbox, you get the highlighted text as the name of the task and the url in the task notes

1 Like

Ah ha! I never realized that. Thanks!

Itā€™s an old thread, but in case someone is looking for a good solution for this problem check out OmSave.

Itā€™s an extension for Safari that adds a button in a toolbar to save into OmniFocus. It pre-fills the title and page description for you, but also can attach the main image from the page or its screenshot. You can set it up to assign tags and a project for all the entries you save from Safari. The format of entries is configurable, so you can tweak it to your liking using the built-in editor.

I just recently released it, but Iā€™ve got a pretty good response and planning to have more updates in the near future expanding the functionality and making it even more useful.

3 Likes

Hi @dsabanin ,

Iā€™ve been trying to reach you via your support email about my existing bug report, but have received no response since the first week of September. Is there a better way to reach you?

I am still seeing the double inbox entry when using OmSave. Itā€™s minor, but annoying. I donā€™t use your promising extension, as it adds clicks when itā€™s supposed to save them. :-/

Let me know how we can get back in touch. Thanks!

Devyn

How come sharing from Safari on macOS still doesnā€™t work properly? This is so basic. iOS works just fine.

Itā€™s puzzling to me that the Share menu extension was neglected and this bug was never fixed.

Luckily, as mentioned previously in this thread, the ā€˜OmniFocus 3: Send to Inboxā€™ service continues to work fine in Safari. You can select some text in the webpage if thatā€™s the inbox item title you want to use.

Thereā€™s another way: select the page URL in Safariā€™s address bar (with a double-click), and right-click to use the service on that. Then the service will automatically use the webpageā€™s title.

Hereā€™s a bookmarklet Iā€™ve been using for years:

javascript:window.location='omnifocus:///add?note='+encodeURIComponent(window.location)+'&name='+encodeURIComponent(document.title)
3 Likes

This bookmark works great!
But is it possible to stop safari pop-ups the permission request every time?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/omsave-for-safari/id1514795049?mt=12

Suddenly when I type Omni and press space I get this; ā€œjavascript:window.location=ā€˜omnifocus:///add?note=ā€˜+encodeURIComponent(window.location)+ā€™&name=ā€˜+encodeURIComponent(document.title) ā€œ

It happens on my iPhone, iPad and Mac regardless of what application Iā€™m using. Text, word, Logic. Iā€™m not trying to reference Omnifocus at all, simply using the word ā€œomniā€ No matter what I touch after typing it, I get the JavaScript replacement text instead of what I typed.

How do I correct this?

Im asking in this thread because this is the only place the text string shows up in Google. Iā€™m thinking you guys/gals might know how to get rid of this. I havenā€™t used Omnifocus in 6 or 7 years. Great app but whats happening now?