Command+' doesn't work

I try to use keyboard shortcuts as much as possible for better productivity. I was looking for a way to create a new task and then edit or add a note to it. According to Omnifocus online documentation, Command+’ is supposed to open the note, but it doesn’t work for me. Is there something special I need to do to get it working?

I’m using the Mac Desktop App.

TIA.

1 Like

What happens when you use Command+N?

1 Like

It creates a new task.

1 Like

Do you have any other apps running that will interfere with Command-’ in OmniFocus? You might quit some app that uses Command-’?

Examples might be Keyboard Maestro or KeyQuencer. Evernote might have some type of keyboard shortcut that utilizes Command-’ as well.

2 Likes

Very good question. I do use Keyboard Maestro and reviewed all the active sequences and none of them are using that kb shortcut. I use some other apps that could potentially be interfering such as Parallels. I will investigate that possibility further.

1 Like

Wilsonng, you nailed it! I started shutting down apps and one of them (I’m not 100% sure which one!) was preventing the shortcut from working. It was not Parallels. I’ll report here once I figure out which app it was. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Well that didn’t take long. It’s LastPass! When it is running, the Command+’ doesn’t work, but if I shut it down, it works! I have no idea what that shortcut does in LP!

3 Likes

For the future: check out shortcut detective

http://www.irradiatedsoftware.com/labs/

A free app to test which app is receiving the shortcut.

3 Likes

Yay! Maybe you can go to the LastPass app and change the keyboard shortcut?

Don’t forget that menu bar apps could also have command-‘ assigned as well

Strange things going on. I checked out LastPass and all the shortcut keys they use and none of them conflicted with Command+’. Whenever LP was running, it didn’t work in OF and when LP was not running the shortcut worked. I downloaded the “shortcut detective” suggested and it was not able to confirm that Command+’ was going to Lastpass. THEN, after all that, the shortcut WORKS, at least for the time being, WITH LastPass running. Weird.

Bottom line, it definitely was related to LastPass in some way, but it is currently not interfering and I have no idea why. I expect that the OF shortcut will stop working at some point and I’ll be back to square one.

Thanks everyone for your input and responses!

I am running into this as well and it has been very frustrating. I downloaded the shortcut detective and it also pointed to LastPass which wasn’t open. I even disabled the Safari extension and still ran into the problem. That’s when I found out that LastPass was still running in the Activity Monitor so when it closes, it doesn’t really close.
As soon as I re-enabled the Safari extension, the process came back and the shortcut key stopped working in OF.
So, as long as the LastPass process is running, the CMD-’ shortcut doesn’t work in OF. And the LastPass process could be running either because of the application or Safari Extension. Closing the extension alone does not close the process. Closing the application does. Side note: closing the extension, then opening the app and closing it will close the LastPass process in activity monitor. At least there is a consistent way to turn the behavior on and off! Thank you!
Now, off to the LastPass team to find out what the heck they are doing with the shortcut. LOL.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.