Compact layout: displays info on one line w/status circles on the left [Edit: Now available in 2.3! OmniFocus Preferences ▸ Layout ▸ Custom Columns]

Another wrinkle - not sure if it’s related to the compact layout change: when using Quick Entry, I can’t set a flag.

You can use shift-cmd-L to set a flag in the meantime.

@claw73, thanks for emailing in your report as well as posting it here; I’ve reproduced the problem and filed a bug on that.

Reminder: if you want to be sure that someone from Omni sees something, please email it to us! Things are about to get very busy at Omni later this week, and the “we can’t guarantee that we’ll see every post in every thread” caveat on these forums is going to be even more in effect than it usually is. :-)

After a couple of days with compact view, I returned back to normal OF2 view to try.
It seemed better:)

2 Likes

FWIW, I’m still MUCH preferring compact view.

2 Likes

I’m sticking with compact view, too. Thanks again for making it possible!

1 Like

Nice one - this is a great option. Thanks for listening to feedback!

Anyone unable to click the Complete circles in the compact view (v87 r209636)? I hit the space bar or use the inspector usually, and just realized clicking doesn’t work.

I’ll file as a bug via email, of course, but I want to know if it’s Just Me™.

1 Like

Anyone unable to click the Complete circles in the compact view (v87 r209636)? I hit the space bar or use the inspector usually, and just realized clicking doesn’t work.

No, I think it’s a bug. Thanks for filing this.

I was vocally opposed to the 2 line format. This is amazing. Thank you for listening.

This is definitely an improvement. I can’t seem to check or uncheck a task as complete using the mouse. There also seems to be issues around not being able to resize columns, or tab to the defer date. But in general, love where this is going! Please keep working on it!

1 Like

Add me to the list of OmniFocus 2 (Pro) users who much prefer the compact display with single-line data density.

1 Like

Oh wow. I was originally going to sit this out, but it’s visually exactly what I wanted. The keyboard nav isn’t quite as convenient as the new layout, and the missing white space is missed, but I think it’s easier to take in more information this way. I’ll try this for a few days to see how it works, but I think I’m already converted.

I have to say that whilst I didn’t dislike the new format as much as others, I do like the ability to have more data visible and less ‘white space’. This is along the right lines to me, although the Tickbox for completion needs to be a little bigger and the flag selection a bit easier. I do ordinarily use the keyboard shortcut for flagging, but it would be better if the target area for both of these was a little bigger.

Nice work though.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, is the alternative high data density layout available as an option in Preferences yet?

This is great, pleased with this. Be great to have a list of these hidden gems.

thanks for the spacebar tip, I don’t use shortcuts much so was annoyed to find the circle doesn’t click, but hooray for the spacebar

Trying this out, I’m excited to reclaim my screen real estate!

Continuing the discussion from Alternate layout which displays everything on one line with status circles on the left:

Shocked to find this as well. Just installed OmniFocus 2 and upgraded to Pro version. Enabled the high data density layout (pretty fantastic) but unable to click the circle is quite… bad.

Also, shouldn’t clicking on the parent item cause the entire task+subtasks to be highlighted?

I’ve made a small mockup of what I envisioned, in regards to my question about ‘Also, shouldn’t clicking on the parent item cause the entire task+subtasks to be highlighted?’.