So currently:

• enter text in omni outliner
  • copy as link
  • paste as results in pasting the link
    – pastes the link

How do we?

• do the above but when you paste
  • pastes the original text from the row but linked to the source row
    (sure you can copy text > paste text to new location > copy as link previous row > select text > command+K then paste the link in the interface)

is there a way to do the above with a key combination?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Any update on this?

You could make a macro with Keyboard Maestro, triggered by a key combination.

I do a very similar workflow between DEVONthink and OmniOutliner. (Copy text in DT, switch to OO, paste the text, create an indented row below the pasted-text, switch back to DT, copy the item link, switch to OO, paste the link into the indented row, then collapse the row.) Instant.

This Keyboard Maestro macro:

copies (in markdown link format) both a link to the active OO document, and a link to the particular OO row (using the text of that row as a label).

e.g.

[sample.ooutline](file:///Users/houthakker/Desktop/sample.ooutline)
[beta](omnioutliner:///open?row=fZtYlM3-AtM)

from a selection like:

1 Like

(Nice of you to reveal more of your identity @draft8.) :-)

I forgot to say that in addition to the Markdown text of label and link, it also copies a rich text (RTF) version of both links to the clipboard, so if you paste into a rich text editor like:

• An OmniOutliner note
  • TextEdit

etc (rather than pasting into a plain text editor),

you will get the underlined blue hyperlink format for both the file link and the row link.

1 Like

As an alternative, in applescript, you can get the link from copy as link using id and then construct the row link, like so…

set rowID to id of item 1 of selected rows

or

set rowID to id of child 2 of document 1

and then…

set rowLink to "omnioutliner:///open?row=" & rowID

Meanwhile, this thread discusses how to ‘enlink’ the contents of a topic (useful stuff begins about 10 posts in):

There are various approaches you could take to implementing this (e.g. get the text and link of the selected row, delay x seconds while you then click on the destination row, deposit the source text and link it to the source row, or maybe make a child row of the selection, put the text/link there, and then you can cut/paste that row wherever) and you could then likely assign a keyboard shortcut using the standard automator approach. For myself, regarding the script in the linked post above, I am comfortable with accessing it using the script menu but I don’t run it that often.