I believe your understanding is correct, yes. The Forecast count is meant to represent how many items are due on a particular day – an item that is deferred to a particular day doesn’t necessarily need to be done that day, but instead becomes available to be done on that day. It could still be done the next day, next week, or at any future time (up to its due date).
While the item will leave the Forecast view tomorrow, now that it’s available, you should hopefully see it crop up in other places. For example, such an item might appear:
- In Contexts, in the context that it’s assigned (if any) – where you can decide to work on it
- In Forecast again on its due date (if it has one) – where you’ll know it has to be done by that day
- In Projects, in its parent project – where you might check in to see what else needs to be done
- In Review, in its parent project – where you can be reminded of that task on a regular basis
- In a perspective showing its project or context
If these places don’t fit your workflow, and you’d like to see Forecast change somehow, we’d love to hear about it!