Drawing a closed shape with one curved segment

Hi Everyone,

I’m relatively new to OmniGraffle and trying to understand how I can draw a shape where three of the four sides / segments define a rectangle and the fourth segment closing the shape is an arbitrary curve. In my early experiments with the pen tool, I’ve not been able to figure out how to maintain the linear segments I want to define while establishing the curve. Any suggestions on how to do this? I tried another approach using the line tool to build a closed shape but then noticed after grouping those segments that I could not fill the shape with an arbitrary color which I need to do.

Just to make clear the type of shape I’m envisioning, I’ve uploaded an example of what I sketched with the line tool.

Thanks in advance for your pointers!

Chris

If you have OmniGraffle 7 Pro, I would start by drawing a rectangle shape then use the Point Editor tool to convert the shape into a Bézier shape so you can manipulate the top. When you activate the Point Editor you’ll see diamond shapes at the corners, hold down the command key and drag one of the top corners to “pull out” the red Bézier handles. By default they will move in sync with each other but if you hold the option key when you drag one of the handles then it will move independently. You can also double click with the Point Editor on the top segment of the shape to create a new point and use the Bézier handles to create the valley of your shape.

I’ve attached an example OmniGraffle document that looks like this:

Here’s the document:
Closed Shape with a Curved Segment.graffle (6.2 KB)

Hope this helps!
Dan

Awesome @danw - thanks so much! I’ll take a closer look at this tomorrow morn. Really appreciate it!

Chris