Due Date Syntax

I was under the impression that Due Date syntax was flexible, but neither “Thurs 11a” nor “Thur 11a” auto-completes; only “Thursday 11a” does. Is this expected, or a bug? Or am I just wrong that the syntax is supposed to be flexible?

The syntax is flexible, but maybe not enough to interpret all abbreviations. The section ”Supported date formats” in the user manual has more information about how flexible the syntax is.

Thanks. I’ll check out the user manual. So “Thur” and especially “Thurs” are really not supported abbreviations for “Thursday”?

Not sure about the English abbreviations, but it actually works with the four first characters in the Swedish word for Thursday on my Mac with a Swedish system!

1 Like

Currently this is correct — the only English abbreviations that work at this time are 3 letter ones — so Thursday would be “thu”. We don’t have any specific plans at this time, but we would like to improve OmniFocus’ date parsing at some point so hopefully it can be a bit more flexible in the future. But hey, at least for the time being 3 letters means less typing!

If you have any specific suggestions you’d like us to consider, please email us with your thoughts so we can add/track them in our development database. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think I’ve ever seen “Thu” anywhere as an abbreviation for Thursday (despite “Mon” and “Fri” being standard, for example); hence my confusion. I thought I’d seen in David Sparks’s OF Video Field Guide that the syntax was flexible, but I must’ve misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

For what it’s worth, the reason we are so inflexible at the moment is because we get the list of abbreviations from OS X rather than curating our own. For whatever reason, Apple has standardized on three-letter abbreviations rather than varying the length as English speakers tend to do in practice.

Thanks, Dave–that’s good to know!