Due vs. Reschedule?

On iOS I’ve noticed when I select multiple tasks (usually from “Past”) and open the “Schedule” menu, I’m offered both “Reschedule to Tomorrow” and “Due Tomorrow”. Can someone explain the distinction here? I’m think it has to do with repeating tasks but I’ve not gotten my head around it.

Thanks,
Jim

See documentation https://support.omnigroup.com/documentation/omnifocus/mac/4.2.1/en/commands-and-shortcuts/#reschedule-to-todaytomorrow

Reschedule to Today/Tomorrow

Available on iPhone, iPad, Apple Vision Pro in Schedule shortcut menu

Only available for actions and projects that are set to repeat.

Sets the Due date for an item to either Today or Tomorrow, maintaining the current difference between the Due date, and any assigned Defer Until date, without changing any assigned times. If the item is already Due either Today or Tomorrow, then only a single choice will be offered.

Compared to…

Due Today/Tomorrow

Available on iPhone, iPad, Apple Vision Pro in Schedule shortcut menu

Only available for actions and projects that are not set to repeat.

Sets the Due date for an item to either Today or Tomorrow, without changing any assigned time. If the item is already Due either Today or Tomorrow, then only a single choice will be offered.

Thanks for the docs link as that taught me about the relationship to defer. Despite the “only available for action that are [set / not set] to repeat” distinction in the docs, both options appear during a multi-select:

IMG_9636

From what I can tell, it looks like choosing either one does the same thing for the group of selected tasks, and the action is appropriate for each task. For example, if I choose “Due Today”, it seems like the “Reschedule to Today” action is applied to repeating elements. That is reasonable, though the UI is a bit confusing. If there is a difference in behavior between this multi-select case, that’d be good to highlight in the docs because it isn’t obvious from my experiments.

Haven’t tested the repeat commands myself, because I rarely need repeat.

Here are my assumptions:

Repeat Actions
I think the special behaviour is for cases like you set a due date for end of a date and a defer date for the beginning of e.g. the same date, then the command adapts both dates at once.

Non-Repeat Actions
One command modifies only the due and the other one just the defer date.