Exporting to PDF at smaller size

Hello,

I’ve been setting up my Omnigraffle pages to be A3 landscape. When exporting to PDF and opening it, the size feels about at 100% zoom.

But… when I take a screenshot of a website and paste it in, I find that I have to shrink it down to leave enough room around the edges. I then find that if I want my text to be at a similar size to the now shrunk screenshot I have to size it down (so choosing 18 is no where near 18px) anymore. It’s the same with any stencils I use.

To get around this I’m using A2… but when I save my PDF out and open the PDF at 100% it feels massive.

Is there an easy way of exporting the PDF so that it shrinks it down to A3? I found a way by printing it as a PDF rather than exporting but it feels convoluted.

I can’t help but think that I’m doing something fundamentally wrong in the first place so I was wondering what other people do with regards to document sizes and exporting to PDF - Any tips?

Thanks!

I may not be completely following you here but … when exporting from OG, would not the option to “scale” at 50% in the Export dialog box work for you?

To be fair, I’m not really getting what you’re trying to accomplish. The whole “take a screenshot of a website” portion starts to get confusing. Perhaps describing what you want in more detail would be helpful.

Yer - sorry about that! - It was much clearer in my mind but getting it to make sense in words was tough.

You’re right though. The scale option was just the thing I was looking for - I’d somehow missed it so thanks for that!

One thing I’m not sure if I understand properly though is why is the PDF dimensions bigger than Omnigraffle? What I mean is…

I create an Omnigraffle PDF at A2
I export as PDF at 100%

If I open the PDF at 100% zoom, then put that next to Omnigraffle zoomed to 100% on my monitor, the PDF is way bigger than Omnigraffle.

Is it bigger because the DPI of the PDF is set to 300 (or at least larger than the dpi of my monitor)? I think that sort of makes sense…

I’m glad scaling solves the problem!

I see what you mean regarding the 100% on both OG and PDF. I don’t know why that is. I do know if I print from the PDF app, or print from OG, I get exactly the same hard copy result. I’m sure someone knows the answer, but I don’t! Sorry.

That’s OK - I might ask the question as another topic later so can write back here if I get an answer. That scaling helps though - I think I’ll set the document as A2 and then scale it down a bit when I export.

What size do you use generally? Is it wireframing you do or diagrams?

Thanks again for your help

I do diagrams: visual models mainly. I’m an educator. My output is typically either PDFs (for students to download) or SVGs (to display on a website).

Please let me know if you find the answer to your other question. I’m sure there’s a quite reasonable answer, I just don’t know it!