Finding scripts

If OO5 is open, and I click on the Script applet in the Menu Bar, it gives me these choices:

Unfortunately, none of those choices is where OO stores scripts, which is:
~/Library/Application Scripts/com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner5.

Why is this? Shouldn’t the scripts be in one of the folders where the Script applet points? Or, conversely, shouldn’t the Script applet point to where the OO scripts are stored?

Could you give more details ? How are you getting your scripts into that folder ?

It’s been so long since I’ve stored scripts, I honestly don’t remember. But I think I had posted a question on the forum asking where they were stored and was given this location.

In any even, is that the right place? Where should they be?

One more thing: if I open the Help Menu and click on Open Scripts Folder, that’s the location that OO points to. ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner5.

But if I click on the Scripts applet in the Menu Bar and select Open Omnioutliner Scripts Folder, it opens a totally different (empty) folder: ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniOutliner.

Is that an OO mistake or an Apple mistake?

Scripts placed in that specific folder, could be dragged into the toolbar, like this:

From the manual:

Adding Scripts to OmniOutliner

You can install scripts into a special folder on your hard drive to add them to your OmniOutliner Toolbar, where they can be clicked just like other Toolbar buttons.

To install the scripts in the proper folder, choose Help ▸ Open Scripts Folder and drop in the scripts you want to access frequently. Any scripts you drop here can appear in OmniOutliner’s Toolbar.

Switch back to OmniOutliner, and select View ▸ Customize Toolbar. Alongside the regular OmniOutliner buttons we provide are all the AppleScripts in your Scripts folder. Drag the scripts you want to use up to the Toolbar in your document window. Make any other changes you want to make, then click the Done button.

Screenshot 2021-03-20 at 22.24.26

Scripts placed in that specific folder, should appear in the Script Applet, like this:

Does this help ?

Yes - thank you - I understand that, and that’s where I keep my scripts. My question really is about the Scripts applet. Why does the Scripts applet point to a different folder?

If an app has a folder inside:

then, when that specific app is running (in this case, OO), all the scripts placed there should appear in the applet.

On the other hand, if you want scripts appearing as toolbar buttons, OO has a specific Scripts folder for that purpose. All scripts placed there should be draggable into the toolbar.

Does that help ? Perhaps, I am missing the point of your question.

My question is why are there two different folders?

Sometimes I might want to use a script that I have not added to the OO toolbar. Those scripts are in one folder, while scripts I have added to the OO toolbar are in a different folder.

So some scripts are accessed by clicking on the Script applet on the Menu Bar, and others are accessed through the OO Help menu.

Wouldn’t a more efficient design be to have all the scripts for one app to be in one folder?

The scripts placed in Scripts Applets folder, are ruled by the operating system domain. That’s not something OO can change.

To cite an example, DEVONthink 3 has a specific folder, named “Toolbar”, with a similar purpose.

Similarly, a Script Applet folder named “DEVONthink 3” is available.

Screenshot 2021-03-20 at 23.31.35

So, the bottom line is: Script Applet folder is available for scriptable apps, I think. It’s a separate menu. Depending on the running app, displays the available scripts for it.

Just to be sure I understand … if I want to use a script in OO, I need to store it in ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner5. I can access that folder by invoking the Help Menu and selecting Open Scripts Folder. Similarly, if I invoke Customize Toolbar in OO, those scripts will show up as options that can be added to the Toolbar.

On the other hand, the folder located at ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/OmniOutliner - the one invoked from the Scripts Applet in the Menu Bar - serves no actual purpose. Is that right?

That’s exactly right.

It does serve an actual purpose. The scripts placed in that folder, will appear in the Script Applet (below the heading “OmniOutliner Scripts”), as this screenshot shows:

I personally don’t access scripts in this way; however, I realise some users do find it convenient.

Does it make sense ?

Thank you. It still seems weird to me to have two different locations, so I just did an experiment.

I currently keep my scripts in ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.omnigroup.OmniOutliner5 (let’s call the the 1st folder), so that they’re available to be used as icons in my OO toolbar.

But I often - from force of habit - open the other folder via the Scripts Applet (let’s call that the 2nd folder). So I just created aliases for the scripts that I store in the 1st folder, and moved those aliases to the 2nd folder. It works.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

You’re welcome.

If think I probably understand your issue, now. You use both the Script Applet and OO toolbar and seemed strange having to duplicate each script to be able to see it in those places.

I see there is a benefit (from an organisation standpoint) in having every OO script in the same folder. However, each scriptable app (if its application folder exists) could have an entry in the Script Applet menu. That’s something OO can’t change, I think.

FWIW, I use that script location for all of my applescripts (excepting devonthink’s). I find it more convenient. That said, I do uncheck the ‘show computer scripts’ option in Script Editor’s preferences. I dislike the clutter those directories present, and I will likely never use them. I also like that I can use ctrl-ƒ8 to access scripts from the keyboard (more easily than I could using the OO location).