Flagged items in Forecast?

I have a tag called “Today” which I have added to the Forecast Perspective. But I’d also love to add flagged items to the Forecast as well, and I’m hoping that that I can do that without having to tag each flagged item as “Today.”

Is this possible?

Thanks!

No, this isn’t possible. Therefore use flags for a different purpose than your ‘Today’ tag, for example a broader shortlist of actions (which you can look to first to add to ‘Today’), your most important projects, or actions which need clarification/breakdown.

You could just roll your own perspective, include upcoming items, today items, and flagged items, group by date, etc.
I have similar perspectives that show me Today, Flagged items in my Deep, Shallow, and Analysis tag hierarchies.
I’m a bit of a noob, but it seems possible.

I don’t think you can include calendar events in a roll your own perspective.

I don’t want to change my usage of flags. I’ve struggled with how to properly use them (for me) for a long time now, and I finally have something that feels intuitive to me.

Flagged items are my “Must Do” for the day, leveraging the orange warning color.
Items tagged “Next” are things I’d like to work on/get done that day.
And of course calendar events.

I’m just looking for a single Perspective where I can see these three things, and it sounds like that’s not going to happen quite yet.

I struggled with flags vs. forecast for the same reasons, and I recently made peace with a way of using them differently, which I wrote up on my blog. Hopefully it will be of some help to you. I admit, if Forecast just had a “show flagged items” checkbox, I’d tear up this system and do that instead, but I have at least found a way of working with the constraints in place now.

2 Likes

Well with a little AppleScript help from a forum user I cobbled together this script:

tell application “OmniFocus”
activate
tell front document
set selectedTasks to every flattened task whose (flagged is true ) and (completed is false )
set oTag to ( first flattened tag whose name is “Next”)
repeat with i from 1 to count of selectedTasks
add oTag to ( tags of item i of selectedTasks)
end repeat
end tell
end tell

It makes sure that every flagged item is also tagged with “Next,” my forecast tag.

Since I use flags to denote “Must Do’s,” it stands to reason that flagged items are a subset of “Next” items anyway, so if I set this script up to run periodically, then I think I should have achieved exactly what I wanted.

That said, I can barely Applescript my way out of an open box, so if anyone sees any issues with this please tell me!

Thanks!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.