Free OmniGraffle Pro Upgrade on iPhone?

So, now that the universal version of OmniGraffle for iOS has landed, the big question is how does somebody who doesn’t have an iPad take advantage of the free “Pro” upgrade?

Since OmniGraffle checks for the existence of the old version to unlock the free upgrade, and the old version can’t be installed on an iPhone, it seems like I’d be stuck using an iPad just to unlock the upgrade. While that’s an option for me, albeit it a slightly cumbersome one, it may not be for those who may have sold off their iPads when moving to something like an iPhone 6 Plus.

So is there some other way to go about this?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I’m talking about the OmniGraffle Pro upgrade from version 1.x. I know that OmniGraffle 2.1 still includes the Pro upgrade if it was unlocked or purchased in v2.0, however I hadn’t previously purchased 2.0, but am thinking of doing so now that it’s universal.

@jdh

You are correct. Version 1 of OmniGraffle for iPad can not be installed on an iPhone, so it is necessary to use an iPad in order to get OmniGraffle 2 for iPad/iOS’s Pro in-app purchase for free. Once you’ve done that, though, you should be able to ‘restore’ the purchase on your iPhone, so you’d only need the iPad the one time.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s pretty much what I thought – I was just hoping there might have been an easier way or some other alternative method of dealing with it.