Help moving from OmniPresence to iCloud

Continuing the discussion from Adopting Apple's Standard iOS Document Browser:

Can I ask how I actually move my sync to iCloud Drive?

I have a folder on my Mac local drive and Omnipresence is pointing to it as the “Omnipresence Synced Folder”.

Do I do this?

1. Put this folder on iCloud instead
  2. Point Omnipresence to this new location?

Or do I actually turn Omnipresence off as it is now iCloud doing the syncing?

Currently I do a lot of manual syncs while working to ensure things got saved and to avoid conflicts when I reopen an outline on my iPad after working on it on my mac. Do I still use Omnipresence for that or it is no longer needed at all?

I’m i’m not using omipresence on my ipad/iphone then how do I save/sync instead of tapping the omnipresence sync icon?

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

Any documents in your OmniPresence folder on the Mac can be moved into the iCloud Drive section of the Finder. You can drag and drop in the Finder to move them to the desired location, with any folder organization you like (they don’t need to remain in a folder named “OmniPresence”). Doing this will make those documents sync via iCloud Drive, so there would no longer be a need to continue to run the OmniPresence for Mac app at all. After relocating your files to iCloud Drive, OmniPresence can be turned off (App Icon > Gear > Quit OmniPresence), and the app can be uninstalled.

To be crystal clear though — we recommend against syncing any folder using multiple sync services simultaneously, so any files on your Mac that sync via iCloud Drive should not be synced by OmniPresence at the same time.

You can still manually save documents as always in our Mac apps by using File > Save (⌘S). That button you were pressing on iOS did used to trigger a sync, but for saving purposes the iOS apps actually always relied on the operating system which has its own background triggers for autosaves — most commonly, that occurs when an app is backgrounded, or if you exit out of a document.

All file management in iCloud Drive on both Mac and iOS is handled automatically by Apple’s cloud provider. The “conflict files” you mentioned were OmniPresence’s own way of resolving sync conflicts, but iCloud’s sync and conflict resolution methods work very differently, so you may no longer see conflict files like this after moving away from OmniPresence. Hopefully this also means you need to pay less attention to when and how you save documents when working on iOS. Hope this helps!

Thank you @aaron.

Just wondering how offline use works with iCloud – if I use an omnioutliner file on my iPad while not connected, does it hold a local copy and then update the sync as soon as the network is available again?

It’s our understanding that files you’ve opened in iCloud Drive remain accessible offline within the Files app, as it appears to hang onto the downloaded file for some time. That said, I’m afraid the iCloud Drive API information we receive from Apple doesn’t provide us with too much information about how long downloaded files remain in the Files app. That’s really a question for Apple, though they do appear to have information about managing iCloud Drive files while offline on their help site here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203052

Files you work on while offline do have their changes saved locally, so I would expect those changes to be uploaded when you regain an internet connection later, but again I’m afraid we don’t know the exact circumstances as to how or when the iOS chooses to sync saved files, or how long it may take for those changes to propagate to your other devices.

OK really late reply but this is what I am plan to do:

1. Move my OOutliner file collection from my Mac home directory to iCloud
  2. Turn off OmniPresence
  3. Point Mac, iPad and iPhone to the new location in iCloud.

Is that the right way to move to iCloud syncing?

PS: anyone know if I can put a symlink in iCloud drive so that I can leave my OO files in their current location?