Help, new user: OO->OF

Hello to All,

I’m new to this forum, and just purchased OF2 for Mac, and find myself confused already how to use it. My plan was to create a Project Outline in OO, hoping I could then import that into OF and set up a timeline of dates for completing both the whole project and each of its component parts. E.g., writing a book with 10 chapters, and setting a sequential timeline to write each chapter, toward a target date. Thought I could just import an outline, make it a project, set an end date for the whole, and divide the whole into ten parts, taking, say, 10 weeks (or months). I don’t see any way to do that, at least efficiently. Am I wrong? Does anyone know of a simple way to do that?

I don’t want to be spending all my time trying to figure out OF 2, instead of working on my project. I didn’t realize there would not be a simple, quick way to do this–to break a single project into parts, and to automatically assign dates (intervals) to each part? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for any advice, tips, links to prior discussions (?) etc. of this kind of task.

Mike

You can definitely import an OmniOutliner document.

I’m less sure what you mean by

break a single project into parts, and to automatically assign dates (intervals) to each part

Are you hoping that if you set a due date for the whole project of 10 weeks from now that each action will automatically get a due date one week after the previous?

OmniFocus really isn’t about that sort of scheduling. Chapter 4 might take twice as long as chapter 2. Or you might have a week vacation in there…

Maybe you’re rather looking for something like Omniplan than Omnifocus? I’m not very good at Omniplan, but you could open an Omnioutliner document in Omniplan, select all tasks there, set a general task duration in the task inspector, and click on the button Connection to spread the tasks over a timeline. Omniplan certainly is a much more complicated tool than Omnifocus, but you will have a visual timeline in it, if that is what you are looking for. There is a free download of Omniplan, so you may try it and see if it suits you.