How can I see projects by context (for 1:1's)

Use case: I am a recruiting manager. I have a project for every open requisition on my team. It is important that I know what’s going on throughout the process. I want to get status updates during weekly 1:1’s.

So, for the project I assign an @Joe context. But when I click on the context, I don’t see the projects.

Therefore, is it even possible to do what I am suggesting. And, if not, why would there be a need to assign a context to projects but not a way to view them by context?

Thanks,

-Dan

Does this thread help?

@MarkSealey, unfortunately no. That thread describes a typical context perspective.

The question I have is how to view Projects (as opposed to actions) by context.

Thanks for the reply.

-Dan

Hi Dan,

It isn’t possible to do what you want currently, but I think using custom perspectives might help you accomplish the same goal.

Try 2 different options for how to view your data in the Pro version by creating custom perspectives.

1. Do not use hierarchy and select the specific Context in the sidebar, and add that to the perspective. Then you can select the contexts in the sidebar. You pick the projects that you want to see in the Focus area. I think this perspective might fit better than the second choice.
    That will be setup like this:

And result in something like this:

1. If you use a hierarchy in the perspective so that you get the Project heirarchy in the sidebar, you can sort by the project name and select what to focus on. You won’t be able to select which context you use, but you can enter a search term and control the focus on just the projects that you are interested in.
    It will look a bit like this:

And result in something like this:

I hope this helps give you a few ideas to try.

Thanks,

Lanette

You could enable the preference OmniFocus ▸ Preferences… ▸ Organization ▸ In perspectives without project hierarchy to include projects with the actions in the Context perspective.

@anne - THAT!

That did exactly what I was envisioning. It may create an unforeseen annoyance elsewhere in my system, but it definitely answered my question.

Thanks very much!

-Dan

1 Like

@lanettetest - Thanks for the reply. I hadn’t thought about it from this way. I’ll play around with both versions and see if I can get what I need.

Thanks again,

-Dan

Cool! I didn’t know this was a Mac pref! Thanks for the tip. 😀

1 Like

BTW–I had that preference on in my examples. I didn’t realize you might have turned it off. Glad that Anne thought of it!