How do I Create Reference/Checklists

Hi there

I’m fairly new to OF and want to create reference/checklists that I will use for activities I carry out on an irregular basis Eg a list of items to take when I’m travelling or say delivering a seminar and need to remember to take - pens, handouts, the projector connector lead etc etc. I want to be able to tick the items off and then be able to use the list again the next time I’m travelling etc. I’m sure there must be an easy way of doing this but can’t find it - I see how to do it for regularly recurring activities but not for events that happen as different times.

Loving the wisdom that’s out there on this forum but couldn’t find anything to help me with this.

Here is what I have done. I created a folder called “GTD”. In that folder, I have created projects for each of my GTD categories:

• Life Purpose (50,000 ft)
  • 3-5 Year Goals (40,000 ft)
  • 1-2 Year Goals (30,000 ft)
  • Books to Read
  • Vacations to Take

Etc. All of these projects are single action lists sand are on hold. I add a task for each item I want in that list. I set up the review schedule based on GTD (for example, Life Purpose is once/year but Books to Read is once/month).

As things move out of here, I just need to move the task out to into my active folders/projects.

I have a folder called Templates where I have stalled projects for things like packing for a trip. When I’m going on a trip, I just make a copy of the Taking a Trip project that gets put into the right folder (in my case Personal), and make it available. It’s worked well so far.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea and, when combined with Chris Suave’s templates.scpt can be tailored to your needs. For instance, you can specify variables if you are packing for two trips, such that entering “China” once into his dialog box will allow you to have a set tasks appended “for trip to China” alongside those appended “for trip to San Francisco.” Then they can both be shown in an “Errands” perspective with little extra effort and no mental effort required to remember that they are for two different purposes when you look at your list.

Many thanks for your help - hadn’t thought of copying the list. Had a quick squint at Chris’ templates - really useful resource. Thanks Wart for pointing it out.

I also use OF as a place for all kinds of lists, some are reference:

• Books to Read
  • Music and Media
  • Goals for 2015
  • Packing Checklist

I use the Someday/Maybe context on the first two, because they imply actions to (someday/maybe) do, but I use a Reference context on the last two, as those are things I will look at when I need them (i.e. I don’t need them presented to me), so I can keep them in different perspectives.

Cheers,

ScottyJ

1 Like

Cannot edit my old post but wanted to update link to Chris Suave’s (now abandoned, but forked) template Applescript.