How do I import my db from OF1 into OF2?

Returning to OmniFocus because of the new OF2. But I was to quick when installing the OF2 trailversion and answered “No”, when it asked me if I wanted to use the old db (OF1) it found. Thought I wanted to start “clean”, but then realized how much data I got in OF1…

So, how do I import the old db from OF1 into OF2?

Already tried this;

• Have both OF1 & OF2 open and tried to “drag n drop” items / projects etc.
  • Looked everywhere in OF2 for a “import OF1 db” or similar.
  • Deleting “omnifocus2” files created today + Reinstalling.
  • Above + restarting my MBP.

Since I’m taking a couple of days right now to “switch back” to OF2 from Daylite / 2Do etc. And I need to get ALL data in OF2, and then use the archive-feature and then start cleaning up old stuff and just keep what is current and what I need.

ANY help, pointers or suggestions asap on this would be great. Thank’s :-)

If you really need all the data from OmniFocus 1 moved over, you can copy your existing OmniFocus 1 database to OmniFocus 2’s database location, replacing the default database OmniFocus 2 created for you. To do this, we’ll need to dig up a couple folders on your Mac.

Finding the OmniFocus 1 database location

1. Open a new Finder window
  2. Press ⌘⇧G or choose the “Go to Folder…” item in the Go menu
  3. Enter the path ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus
  4. Press “Go”

Inside this folder, you should see a file simply named OmniFocus (perhaps with the extension .ofocus). This is your OmniFocus 1 database, and it contains all your existing data. We’ll copy this file later on.

Finding the OmniFocus 2 database location

1. Launch OmniFocus 2
  2. While holding the command (⌘) key, click on the small file icon in the title bar at the top center of the window
  3. Select the second item in the pop-up menu that appears, named “OmniFocus”
  4. Quit OmniFocus 2

This will open another Finder window showing your OmniFocus 2 database and related contents. Just like in the OF1 directory, there should be a file named OmniFocus.ofocus – this is the new OmniFocus 2 database, and it’s what we’ll be replacing.

Copying your data

Once you’ve found both databases, you can simply copy and paste your OmniFocus 1 database into your OmniFocus 2 database folder. You should be prompted to replace the existing database. Make sure there’s no data in OmniFocus 2 that you need, then go ahead and replace the file.

While performing this copy, be careful – your OmniFocus 2 database must be named OmniFocus.ofocus for the app to find it. In addition, OmniFocus 2 must not be running while you replace that file. After the copy finishes, you can relaunch OmniFocus 2 and verify that all your data came over safely.

Hope that helps! If you have further questions or run into trouble, emailing our support team at omnifocus@omnigroup.com is the best way to get a guaranteed answer.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Tim. Just what I needed - your tip worked like a charm :-)
I now “only” have zillions things to sort and archive… ;-)