How do I install a custom stencil - (local file)

Hi,

I’ve got a stencil that I created. It’s a file. I’d like to keep this file in my Documents folder so that the stencil is always backed up. How do I install this stencil? I have Omnigraffle 7 and run macOS.

Many Thanks!

You can add a stencil by opening the Resource Browser (File menu > Resource Browser), selecting the ‘Stencils’ header in the left-hand sidebar, clicking the gear/sprocket icon in the Resource Browser window’s toolbar, then selecting ‘Add Resources to Library’ from the menu:

This will open a Finder sheet to locate and select the stencil.

You can also find more info about adding custom assets here. I hope this helps!

Thanks! That worked. Got a question though. The path of my stencil just prior to adding the resource (or importing) was

~/Documents/omnigraffle_stencils

Now that this stencil is installed - if I modify this stencil does it modify the file in the Documents folder or does Omnigraffle modify a copy of my stencil located elsewhere?

The reason why I ask is that I’d like to back up this stencil - and make sure I never lose the stencil.

Thanks,

David

If you edit using the gear symbol next to the stencil name, it should update the version OG is using. Same if you do File -> Resource Browser to open the stencil file.

However, if you use File -> Open it may get another version of the file not in the stencil folder.

Does that help?

Confused. I just want to make sure I don’t lose the custom stencil file that I’ve worked so hard to build. For example, if I reinstall the operating system (macOS) I want to be sure I know WHERE that file is. At the time of posting this I have a copy of the imported stencil file here:

~/Documents/omnigraffle_stencils

What I don’t know is if Omnigraffle made a copy of the stencil file during importing and stuck it somewhere else. (and as I update said stencil file then REAL copy is no longer here: ~/Documents/omnigraffle_stencils)

In that case then I’d need the correct path to back up.

David

Okay, looks like once OmniGraffle imports a stencil it creates a second copy. After a stencil has been imported into OmniGraffle any editing of that stencil will modify the second copy - not the original. I verified this on my machine.

I used the Terminal / Linux command to find the stencil. Here is that command
find . -type f -iname "Electronics +*"

The name of my stencil is "Electronics +.gstencil"

The directory that the find command located was

./Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniGraffle7/Data/Library/Application Support/The Omni Group/OmniGraffle/Stencils/Electronics +.gstencil

So, if I want to keep track of my stencil I’ll need to backup from the above path.