How do I open files from iCloud?

I’m using the files app. When I click on it, files app opens a preview window which just says “Omnigraffle document 32 KB”. Then I have to click Share, scroll to end, click more, and then click open with omnigraffle.

Why doesn’t graffle register its files, so they open directly?

That additional step shouldn’t be necessary if you’re using any of the latest versions of OmniGraffle 3 for iOS, which offer native support for the Files.app document picker. What happens if you start in OmniGraffle instead of Files.app, then navigate to iCloud Drive and open the file from there?

I’ve verified that iCloud Drive documents should open with a single tap from the Files app when running iPadOS 13.4.1 and OmniGraffle for iOS 3.13. In case it’s helpful, a general overview of how the Files.app document browser works and opening files can be located in the OmniGraffle 3 Reference Manual for iOS.

If you’re still having trouble, could you please send us an email at support@omnigroup.com with some screenshots showing what you’re seeing on your end, and let us know more about your setup including which versions of iOS/OmniGraffle you’re using? We’d be happy to help investigate this further with you.

Hi Aaron,

“What happens if you start in OmniGraffle instead of Files.app, then navigate to iCloud Drive and open the file from there?”
When using OG builtin browser, the graffle files are greyed out and non-clickable. I’ll send an email with screenshot to the support.

These things should be demonstrated in the documentation. I see that iOS version 2 doc did have sections on integrating with cloud drives. But this has been dropped in version 3 doc. Seems like a regression to me.

• Kshitiz

The beta Cloud Provider option seen in earlier versions of OmniGraffle for iOS has been removed in the current releases, as OmniGraffle now directly integrates with the native iOS Files app. The functionality added by the Files app in iOS 11 replaces the functionality offered by our previous cloud storage beta, and makes it much easier to edit and sync files stored in iCloud Drive and other cloud providers, which is why it is no longer necessary for us to provide our own file provider or iCloud integration outside of this.

Since OmniGraffle 3 currently uses the same Files app for document management that you see in many apps across iOS, there aren’t any special instructions for using it that would be exclusive to OmniGraffle. (Similarly, OmniGraffle 7 for Mac relies on the Finder for all document management, but you won’t find documentation on how to use Finder in OmniGraffle for Mac user manual.)

However, if it’s helpful, Apple provides documentation on how to use the Files app on within their documentation of iOS on their site here: Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Thanks for sending that email — we’ll be happy to look into why your files aren’t opening, and discuss this further with you via email if you have any further questions or concerns, but I hope this explanation about why we made this change helps anyone else who comes across this thread.