How do you 'pull out' a bezier control handle?

I’m drawing a line using Bézier, Stroke: Custom

I’ll draw the line with, say, several points.

Sometimes while drawing the line the bezier control points just sticks out seemingly on its own (not usually). I’m sure I’m causing this as I lay the points, but I don’t really know what it is I would be doing for that to occur (but, usually that doesn’t happen anyway)

Next, I’ll try (and try) to “pull out” the Bezier control handles. I find it VERY hit in miss. Instead, I’m constantly moving the point around and then (maybe/eventually) the Bezier control handles get pulled out. It’s very frustrating.

I’m using a Mac with macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and OmniGraffle 7.5

I’ve tried Command and drag (using the mouse button to drag) - but that doesn’t seem to change anything.

What is weird is that I’ve done this before (pulled out these bezier handles) but that was like a year ago - maybe I don’t remember how - maybe an update removed a useful feature - who knows.

Any idea on how to do this?

Okay, I believe I have figured it out.

Step one:
Select the point that you want to pull the Bezier handle out (use left-click on mouse). It is hard to see because the points, the blue diamond shape on the line, is very tiny - but when selected it will become solid.

Step two:
Hold the Command key and then drag (again using left mouse button).

In case it’s helpful, there are some additional commands available by holding down different keys during the drag. More info on them is available here.