How does the input/send-to-inbox function work in iOS?

I’m interested in buying OmniFocus Pro for iOS. Since it’s a $60 purchase for an iOS app, I am considering it carefully.

I need to know how the input/send-to-inbox function works in iOS. For example, if I am doing something on my iPhone (other that using OmniFocus), and I have something I suddenly think of, do I have to stop what I am doing, exit the app I am using, open OmniFocus, open the ‘Add New’ function and type in or paste what I want to add? Or is there an input box or feature like in OS X? Or at least OmniFocus being added to iOS ‘Share To’?

I have been trying to find videos or a part of a video showing this, but haven’t found any that show this (and most of them are around 2 years old).

Could someone please direct me to a video or give a good description of how the input function in OmniFocus iOS works?

Regards.

Yes, there is a share sheet on iOS, but you can also enable Reminders integration and use Siri and Drafts — my absolute two favourite methods. You can also easily use Launch Center Pro if you like.

edit: @Keven, if any of these methods are unclear, let me know; happy to provide some details if need ;-)

2 Likes

If you are using an iPhone 6S/6S Plus you can also invoke ‘New Inbox Item’ from the 3D Touch menu. Whilst it could be convenient, there is no such item from, say, the Today widget.

2 Likes

This is the OmniFocus documentation for the share setting…

https://support.omnigroup.com/documentation/omnifocus/ios/2.12/en/omnifocus-extended/#sendtoomnifocus

When you are in another app, you can tape the share button to send something to OmniFocus.

On the iPad, I like to go to a web site and copy some text. Then I swipe my finger from the rough edge of he iPad from right to left. This brings up that iOS split screen mode screen. If I slide my finger from the top and slide down, I can choose which app to switch to. I can change to OmniFocus and use it in that side of the screen. Swipe away to slid OmniFocus out of the way. This is a convenient way to use OmniFocus on the iPad.

Airmail for iOS is an email app that has a fully featured “send to OmniFocus” feature.

Other ways to send to OmniFocus is via Siri + Apple Reminders as well as the mail drop feature:

https://support.omnigroup.com/documentation/omnifocus/ios/2.12/en/omnifocus-extended/

2 Likes

Draft looks like an awesome app. I already have Launcher on my iPhone(Cromulent Labs), but might get Launch Center Pro as well. Thanks for those.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your help everyone. It was very informative.